Bad attitude of northern rail conductor towards me as a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
Just a little rant after my second journey by train with my bike did not go so well.
Yesterday I didn't find a designated area on the train for my bike and ended up standing in the disabled spot with it, but it was ok. I think I needed to be at the other end of the train but the conductor never said and I was only going two stops so it didn't matter.
Today I was all excited when I approached the train and saw the bicycle on the side. Less excited when I got on and saw the space was occupied by two empty pushchairs.
I located the owners and they happily folded them and another passenger moved her suitcase to make it easier to accommodate us all. I was just thinking about taking a photo of my bike, as you do, when passengers started piling up luggage in front of it. Thinking ahead to the complications of getting off again I asked if they'd mind not doing, and they apologised and took their bags away.
But then the conductor appeared and started helping people shove their luggage into my bike. I did not have a happy face.
I asked if they could possibly not do that, please and thank you and was told that I was sitting in the wrong place and the bags had to go there. I pointed out that northern rail are supposed to be encouraging cyclists to use their trains and the reply was "bikes are the least of my priorities. Customers come first"
Obviously not customers with bikes!
I was going to argue this point but he walked off muttering. I seem to have that affect on people lately.
I have taken his name and lodged a complaint quoting part of their website where it describes cyclists as their natural allies!!
I did consider being belligerent and shoving everyone's bags out of my way when I got to my stop, but I decided to be a grown up about it and lifted the bike over the top. If I could have put it down on the conductors feet my more childish side may have come out though.

mattobrien

Guru
As rants go 3/10, at best. Not enough swearing or venting anger.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Apologies for the unworthiness of my rant. I will endeavour to do better.
Do you want to hear about the chav and his dog who crossed my path earlier?!

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
oh - and - it was obviously more intense verbally because when I'd finished telling a colleague about the incident he said "remind me never to cross you!"

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Apologies for the unworthiness of my rant. I will endeavour to do better.
Do you want to hear about the chav and his dog who crossed my path earlier?!

Sorry, was just being silly. Rant to your hearts content :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Which line was that on? I've not met many bad Northern guards, in fact they're usually the most accommodating of any line I've used. This guy sounds like an idiot though and with that attitude I would definitely recommend you complain.

I'd have been tempted to walk the bike down the middle of the train deliberately slowly and in his way if he was insistent that it was at the wrong end (that's a tactic I've had to use through coach A of a Pendolino before when no one could be bothered to open the door to the cycle space and let my bike out)

Get your own back!

Had similar with people getting on at Exeter

He insisted they the suitcases and in this case the food trolley as well had to go in the bike area. I offered to move by bike into the aisle, but was told it had to be in the bike space, and basically "tough". He then proceeded to totally ignore my explanation about why I did not want the bike blocked in or to let me show him my ticket.I was then told to stop interfering and return to my seat, and he would check the ticket later.

So I patiently waited until they were done, and then stopped the guard and pointed out that (as I had tried to explain ) I was getting off at Newton Abbott on about 12 minutes and would need to get the bike off. . Which was now blocked in..... And I did not want to delay the train at the Station.

So, amidst much muttering They had to unpile the bags and let me off

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Ah well if it is usually a good train to use I will try it again, hopefully the conductor was transferred from elsewhere and will never be seen again!
I've used the route myself several times with many children and large prams and only once had issue - we couldn't get on the train was so full! lol.
I'm heading out that way again tomorrow so we shall see how it goes, thinking of cycling out and getting the train back for a change. To be fair I can cycle both ways but just don't have the time to make appointments and get to work on time.

Top Bottom