Bad Behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogzodiac

Still quite new to road cycling. Had my first encounter of abusive language aimed at me by a passing car last week, not encountered this before as Mountain biking meant i did not come in contact with traffic very often. I was out in the peak district going down into Hathersage when a car whizzed past and something was shouted at me. I knew it wasn't pleasant but they did not slow down enough for me to pick up what wise words were thrown at me. I assume its a case of growing a thick skin and putting up with it:boxing:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't put up with it.. give them the finger.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I assume its a case of growing a thick skin and putting up with it
Not really, what you describe is such a non-event that it should barely register and certainly doesn't warrant enough thought to come and post about it here. Just accept that there are some complete and utter brainless twonks out there that can't help themselves and let it pass you by :thumbsup:

jay clock

Massive member
Not really, what you describe is such a non-event that it should barely register and certainly doesn't warrant enough thought to come and post about it here. Just accept that there are some complete and utter brainless twonks out there that can't help themselves and let it pass you by :thumbsup:
+1. A zero on the wind-up scale

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It can be unnerving the first time, I know I was quite scared when I got shouted after by a random passing car passenger, it was night time too, at first you think they have violent intentions.
As said above, try not to take it to heart, it means nothing.

bpsmith

Veteran
If you want the confrontation, then react, otherwise smile and wave as said above. Either way, don't procrastinate over it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As you didn't hear the remark? He or she may have simply complimented you on your behind in a builder sort of way?
happy to say road rage is not something I suffer with or get bothered about..I did call a bloke a farking ars hole for sending me over his car and wrecking my new honda tho..and then smoked some of his fags which he was happy to supply me with while waiting for police and an ambulance...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Still quite new to road cycling. Had my first encounter of abusive language aimed at me by a passing car last week, not encountered this before as Mountain biking meant i did not come in contact with traffic very often. I was out in the peak district going down into Hathersage when a car whizzed past and something was shouted at me. I knew it wasn't pleasant but they did not slow down enough for me to pick up what wise words were thrown at me. I assume its a case of growing a thick skin and putting up with it:boxing:

You were unlucky. I've been riding the Peak District roads for about 3 years and never had anything like that. Urban riders may have a different experience. In any case, I'd forget about it any not react in any case. You never know if the car is full of meatheads, in which case if you flip them the finger a confrontation may be on the cards.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Such incidents are rare, in my experience. Like Drago, I just ignore it, and it's forgotten within minutes. And it's certainly not worth worrying about if you didn't even hear what they said. Might've been 'allez!' I had a bloke in a van beep me on a steep hill once, and when I looked up he was pumping his fist and going "go on son!"

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I bet a large number of abusive shouts are actually mis-heard shouts of encouragement. A cyclist only hears the briefest segment of a comment from a passing car.We don't get much in the Ribble Valley as cycling is very popular and drivers are generally very courteous, but when I do hear shouts I ignore them.

Top Bottom