Bad choice of new bike: regrets and moving on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chernij

Hi guys,

bought a Giant Defy 1 2013 model in early July this year. I bought it as I wanted to get into road-riding; it was going to be used every day for cycling to University (6 miles each way) on the road, then at weekends/evenings for longer distances to get fit. However, the roads on the route down (Manchester central to Wythenshawe) are terrible. Potholes everywhere, little tarmac, and new tram lines! Basically, the bike can't really handle the roads.

My girlfriend's got a mountain bike so it's difficult cycling out together, so I want a new bike that can deal with different terrains (similar to mountain) but good for commuting too.

I'm not asking for suggestions of a new bike as of yet; I wanted to ask for advice on where to ship my bike to, where I'd get the most value/money. Would I get a decent amount part-exchanging for a new bike in a shop, or should I just offload on eBay?

Thanks

jay clock

Massive member
Defo not part-ex. I would advertise it on here, but be realistic about price. Seems to be about a grand but nay be cheaper elsewhere. Assuming in perfect nick you should get about £150 less than the cheapest brand new price.

Ebay will sell, but fees are now colossal. Will be about £75 to sell with them. If you do, I would put up for a "fixed price sale" not auction or Buy it now, with option to make best offer. I sold a BMC road bike that way for £900 when the listed Fixed price was £1200. Was very happy with 900. Youu can set it to auto-reject offers below a certain level, and auto accept above a level

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi guys,

bought a Giant Defy 1 2013 model in early July this year. I bought it as I wanted to get into road-riding; it was going to be used every day for cycling to University (6 miles each way) on the road, then at weekends/evenings for longer distances to get fit. However, the roads on the route down (Manchester central to Wythenshawe) are terrible. Potholes everywhere, little tarmac, and new tram lines! Basically, the bike can't really handle the roads.

My girlfriend's got a mountain bike so it's difficult cycling out together, so I want a new bike that can deal with different terrains (similar to mountain) but good for commuting too.

I'm not asking for suggestions of a new bike as of yet; I wanted to ask for advice on where to ship my bike to, where I'd get the most value/money. Would I get a decent amount part-exchanging for a new bike in a shop, or should I just offload on eBay?

Thanks

Yes it can, lol.

400bhp

Guru
Hi guys,

Thanks

As Rob says, it can. It isn't made of cream cheese.

OP
OP
chernij

chernij

Thanks guys. I didn't mention it but another reason I could do with a different bike is that I have a lower back problem, and can't do with leaning down on the bike. Even with the handlebars raised it's too much. I was simply asking where the best place to get "rid" would be! The money from selling on the bike would fund the new one as I don't have any spare cash.

Kies

The bike can easily withstand tough roads. Mine has completed 2500 in all sorts of weather/roads etc without a hiccup. Looks like you bought the wrong type of bike for your needs.
Put the bike on here in the for sale section, but don't expect anywhere near £850 from CC'ers. Best bet would be Ebay,Gumtree and local papers.
Good Luck

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. I didn't mention it but another reason I could do with a different bike is that I have a lower back problem, and can't do with leaning down on the bike. Even with the handlebars raised it's too much. I was simply asking where the best place to get "rid" would be! The money from selling on the bike would fund the new one as I don't have any spare cash.

On here or Gumtree if prepared to be realistic on price and wait. Ebay another option, you'll possibly do better on price and hhave a bigger audience but they'll fleece you for 10% on fees (unless it's now more!)

This is not a great time to be selling a roadbike. I reckon £600-700 max is realistic as there are plenty of deals out there and the new models are on sale

E.g. you can get the bike new for £820 http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-defy-1-2013-white

amaferanga

Veteran
Selling a nearly new bike is never a great idea. The best you should expect us about 60% of what you paid for it (less if the same model is being sold off cheap in the sales at the moment).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Your bad back is most likely a 'core strength' issue and you aren't used to the bike. As for handling the roads - course it can. A few of us here ride the same roads as you !

oldroadman

Veteran
Manchester roads are not really very different to anywhare else. 25c tyres should do the job at 6-7 atmospheres. Learn to bunny hop the worst holes if it's impossible to go round them. Races in Belgium, France (and here) encounter some pretty horrible surfaces and everyone manages, Just a bit of practice and looking well forward. Comments about the back pain issue may be correct, have you tried sitting a fraction lower, reversing the stem so it angles up, shifting the levers further up the bars? Changing is possibly expensive and you will probably end up with a less expensive (hence equipment and groupset not so good) bike than you have now. Don't give up!!

Top Bottom