Bad choice of new bike: regrets and moving on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I 300 of the Queen's £1 coins here if you want them for it, just don't tell her that I have them...

Alan...

U

User6179

Fit bigger tyres if possible and use a lower pressure. 28C tyres?

My m8 can only fit mudguards on his defy if the tyre is 23c , the clearance on the defy is quite tight .

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Your bad back is most likely a 'core strength' issue and you aren't used to the bike. As for handling the roads - course it can. A few of us here ride the same roads as you !
Could also be something to do with not riding the bike,and not being used to the position.

Core strength, the answer to everything :wacko:

CRVFR

I've done more or less the opposite! Bought a Trek F7.3 FX hybrid bike to get back into cycling, closely followed by a Marin MTB. Now I have decided what I would really like is a road bike, so want to sell the hybrid to part finance it. Might you be interested in a part-ex?

Just to put in my two penneth...I bought a hybrid (Specialized Sirrus Elite) and loved it. Did everything I wanted...but always wanted a road bike. Ended up selling the Sirrus and buying a road bike 12 months later (it took me a good few weeks to feel comfortable but now I love it). If I were you, I'd buy a second hand hybrid and keep the road bike for the inevitable (imo) time when you want to go back to road.

Well...there are other options. Don't discount it yet - a stock bike is rarely a perfect fit for anyone because we are not all average.

Perhaps fit a handlebar raiser, and if necessary, flat bars. It's not that expensive to move from drops to flats (as opposed to the other way around with road STIs). Or even butterfly bars if the back problem is that bad - it's fine for the Europeans, god knows why we Brits are so reluctant to use them (well, OK it looks like you've stolen them of your mum's exercise bike but apart from that....) A set of Dia Compe brake levers are £10 and £30 a set of Sunrace M90 Shifters (which are the dogs for the price, I was quite astounded, normally linking the Sunrace brand with cheap tat made of cheese) - you could buy a raiser, flat bars, shifters, brake levers, new cables and grips for about £80 give or take. Which is less than you'd lose on the bike by selling it

Wider tyres as already mentioned will make at least lighter off road trails quite do-able

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
keep it, at least until the spring, now is the wrong time to sell.

Me, I'd get a replacement stem with a higher degree of rise (or fit a riser dohdad) and fit cross top brake levers so you can ride on the tops. 28c's and stick with it, you'll adapt to the bike in time.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
so did I but it was made of gas pipe . 27x 1 1/4 tyres and 10 speed sachs huret non indexed down tube shifters and derailleurs. I donated it to the local bike charity a few weeks ago .

Sounds much like mine! Although mine was an old tourer. I took my first SingleSpeed off-road a few times but the wheels were already borked. Not sure I'd do it again, I have no idea how cyclocross folk stay in control on drop bars!

Top Bottom