Bad Diagnosis from Decathlon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lozz360

Lozz360

Veteran
I hate riv nuts. My oven door catch is on one that’s come out. It needs welding on.
One tool I don’t have is a rivet gun or rivet popping device.
If it's similar to the B'Twin riv-nuts than you don't need welding or a special tool. YouTube is your friend.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Since when did tightening become over tightening ? You ought to ask him what the recommended and mac torques are for the bolt and what torque he knows you tightened them to?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It looks to work in a very similar way to a hollow wall anchor. I would expect the tool for one of those should work too. Screw in the bolt from the wall anchor and drag it back like you would with the anchor fitting.

D

Deleted member 26715

You are all a funny lot. I started this thread to have a whinge about Decathlon's shoddy after-sales care, but everybody only seems interested in how the mechanics of the fastening device for the bottle cages work.
Or not as the case might be or in fact was,

I am though surprised you are surprised that the mechanic of a big chain store didn't know about riv-nuts, he's read the company bulletin that stated that if the water bottle mounts were over tightened they could make the fastening come loose, in such cases they are not covered under warranty & that the way to proceed is to offer a new frame with all items swapped over. He's not there to assist you are such, only to make you feel assisted whilst making the company money.

OP
OP
Lozz360

Lozz360

Veteran
Or not as the case might be or in fact was,

I am though surprised you are surprised that the mechanic of a big chain store didn't know about riv-nuts, he's read the company bulletin that stated that if the water bottle mounts were over tightened they could make the fastening come loose, in such cases they are not covered under warranty & that the way to proceed is to offer a new frame with all items swapped over. He's not there to assist you are such, only to make you feel assisted whilst making the company money.
I see your point. It's just that I would have been so annoyed with myself and Decathlon if I had agreed to a replacement frame and then discovered that the repair would have been so very simple and cost zero.

I had never come across riv-nuts before, but if I am correct in the belief that most bikes use riv-nuts to fasten the bottle cages; how could a bike mechanic (even one employed in a big chain) not know about them?

D

Deleted member 26715

I see your point. It's just that I would have been so annoyed with myself and Decathlon if I had agreed to a replacement frame and then discovered that the repair would have been so very simple and cost zero.
So would I, but lots of things these days are made in such a way as it's easier to manufacture & sod the person who is going to own the bike/oven/vehicle.
I had never come across riv-nuts before, but if I am correct in the belief that most bikes use riv-nuts to fasten the bottle cages; how could a bike mechanic (even one employed in a big chain) not know about them?
I don't know either, certainly in the past they were braised on, to me using riv-nuts are not ideal on a round tube, they are designed to be used on the flat.

The strange thing here is that overtightening cannot make the rivnut loosen. It will strip, rather than loosen. By tightening it, you improve the crimp. These things loosen for other reasons.

alicat

Legendary Member
He's been there at least since March 2017 as he was discussing the bike with me when I purchased it new. I wanted to make sure I could make all the adjustments necessary to fit as this bike was a size smaller than the other bike I had, a Triban. His assistant helpfully informed me that it was possible to adjust the seat height on these bikes! What will they think of next?

So you knew way back in 2017 that his knowledge was extremely limited and yet you went back to him seeking advice for a more complicated problem. And now you have been able to diss Decathlon for not having expertly trained sales staff. :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

The strange thing here is that overtightening cannot make the rivnut loosen. It will strip, rather than loosen. By tightening it, you improve the crimp. These things loosen for other reasons.
I disagree on this one sorry, if you are putting a riv-nut into a flat plate then what you is logically correct, however not always, they can still spin it installed incorrectly. However this is worse when installed on a round surface, as it nips up & only touches at 2 points (either side of the curve) not all the way around, if the bolt is over-tightened then the nut can spin slightly & come lose.

Globalti

Legendary Member
As I wrote upthread, rivnuts loosen because of salt water oxidation attacking them and the surrounding frame material and because the bottle cage wobbles and they work loose.

The oxidation can be delayed by making sure the nuts are well greased or protected with Vaseline or lanoline and the wobbling can be prevented by visiting a hardware store and buying four broad-headed bolts, which will hold the bottle cages better and stabilise them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I guess there are lots of things bike/car mechanics know and do to their own machines, but can/will not do to a customer's for fear of voiding warranty or going against the employer's procedure.

Could you not complain to head office or similar ? Sounds like this chap might benefit from some further training.
Im going with these, if its outside the companies guidelines he could be playing safe, if in doubt take it up the managerial food chain in store.I have always found decathlon`s return policy excellent, heck i have taken shoes back i have ridden in with cleat marks and exchanged with no questions.

Top Bottom