Bad, Naughty Ice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All I did was pop out to get some kitchen stuff.... Barely 2 miles there and back.

Took the fixie with a courier bag. Like you do.

Pulling into the supermarket carpark and swinging left at barely 5mph to get to the bike racks...

SLAP!

On the floor with no warning. I mean, like, no warning. None.

My stupid, stupid cut-off bullhorns rammed into my lower ribs as it all went floorwards. My left trouser leg is torn and my left knee is hurty and bleeding. My right hand is also bleeding and my left palm aches from slapping the ground.

It appears that they were lying when they told me about getting older. Age did not bring wisdom.

Luckily for all of you, I can still type.

It is slippery out there. Exercise caution at all times!

Stupid, stupid, stupid ice. Stupid, stupid twisted quill stem. Hate, hate, hate!

Thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Where are you ? Ouch.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Ouch. Hope you heal quick. I thought about going out early this morning but the roads were glistening so didn't risk it. My next door neighbour has just texted me to tell me her hubby was knocked off his bike this morning too. Will get more info when I go out a walk with her after lunch.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
How's the bike?

(GWS)

Teuchter

Über Member
It appears that they were lying when they told me about getting older. Age did not bring wisdom.
Age does indeed not bring wisdom... it just makes you take longer to recover from the same old mistakes (from personal experience, also bicycle on ice related).

I hate ice.

And supermarkets.

Get well soon.

byegad

Legendary Member
You need one of these.

3950320354_20ae2e4a90_m.jpg

OP
OP
Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic

Thank you all for those kind responses.

I think I have a bruised or cracked rib, but I refuse to seek medical attention, despite admonishment from wife and eldest child.

There was a good side to it all: A man pushing a baby in a buggy stopped and asked if I was OK. For quite a few seconds I was badly winded, so I gasped more than I spoke to him.

After I'd said i was fine, he hung around to make sure I really was. He was clearly concerned (I think it probably looked worse than it was).

Anyway, apart from apparently now being unable to work a vacuum cleaner or a washing-up brush, I think I'm OK.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think I have a bruised or cracked rib, but I refuse to seek medical attention,

Very much, OUCH! If you have had a cracked rib before, you will know the pain. If not, just wait until tomorrow, or maybe the day after........
I did much the same thing 2 years ago and had to take 2 weeks off work (unpaid). Bikes and ice are a bad mix, a painful lesson was learnt in my case - so if there is any chance of ice, the bike stays at home and I use the sensible alternative (3 letters, starts with C, ends with R).

Get well soon!

Top Bottom