Bad News - lets be careful out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
Lots of comments of 'an accident waiting to happen'. Makes me think theres possibly a failing of health and safety concerning the site.
You might be right.
'The site is currently surrounded by hoardings and traffic leaves from an opening directly on to the roundabout.'

That sounds very dangerous.
It's an awful story.

Keith Oates

Janner
Lorries leaving building sites are always a danger IMO, there does sem a need for more traffic control at these places. Sad to hear about the cyclists death though!!

simonali

Guru
I remember there was a guy in Trowbridge killed sometime last year by a big truck on a road with 2 mini roundabouts in quick succession. I don't like driving along there, as it's chaos sometimes (one r/a leads into the town's main shopping car park), so navigating those 2 roundabouts by bike must be pretty hair-raising.

We have a weekly paper called the Wiltshire Times and all too often there is a story on the front page about the death of a cyclist and that includes this weeks edition. She wasn't even on her bike at the time.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/search/display.var.1948134.0.death_crash_cyclist_named.php

Awful to hear. As always we can only speculate to what happened until the inquest is complete. My thoughts are with the family and friends. :wacko:

Gandalf

Veteran
magnatom said:
Awful to hear. As always we can only speculate to what happened until the inquest is complete. My thoughts are with the family and friends. :wacko:

And on the basis of what usually happens in threads of this nature it's probably best that we don't.

Tetedelacourse

Jeezo that's sad. I've just jumped from a thread about Jason McIntyre's death to this one. Not a good time of year.

Magna's right maybe we should wait for more details before jumping to conclusions. A building site exit onto a roundabout needn't be any more dangerous than a building site exit onto a main road. In fact it should be less so.

habibi

another high profile death to be shrugged off by the media.

i've seen jason training on the A82 before, cheered him on and shared a laugh.

gutted.

wafflycat

For those that don't know, Jason was a carer to one of his daughters who required full-time care due to an illness. He fitted his cycling in around that role. The Braveheart Cycling Fund has already set up a memorial fund with all donations going to Jason's family.

See http://www.braveheartfund.com/home.asp

Link to the memorial fund is on the left of the page - Paypal.

Tynan

Veteran
Considering how many cyclists and cars there are out there every day, I'm surprised how few are killed, lots of people die in accidents every single day, we chose to pick out some as sad or remarkable

If someone is stood on the pavement holding a bike, I suggest they aren't cyclists at that moment, they could as easily have been holding a shopping trolley

simonali

Guru
Tynan said:
If someone is stood on the pavement holding a bike, I suggest they aren't cyclists at that moment, they could as easily have been holding a shopping trolley

I'm assuming that is aimed at my post?

If a cyclist stops at the side of the road to fix a puncture do they cease to be a cyclist while they're doing it? :cry:

Tynan

Veteran
at least the person fixing a puncture is on the road I assume? they certainly shouldn't be if they are

just making the point that someone holding a bike on the pavement might as well be a pedestrian, could be anyone, the car mounting pavement isn't discriminating

strictly speaking you need to be on a bike and cycling to be a cyclist at the time

otherwise I'm a cyclist when I'm asleep in bed I presume?

Top Bottom