Bad Product Names Faux-Pas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
2690BC09-20CE-41E8-8F3D-5A22A7F8FA00.jpeg

They don’t see anything funny about this down here.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
A near miss:
IIRC the Toyota RAV 4, (RAV being shortened from recreational activity vehicle) was originally intended by Toyota to be called the leisure activity vehicle, until it was pointed out to the Japanese, that in English the shortened version had a different meaning in English.

AndyRM

XOXO
A near miss:
IIRC the Toyota RAV 4, (RAV being shortened from recreational activity vehicle) was originally intended by Toyota to be called the leisure activity vehicle, until it was pointed out to the Japanese, that in English the shortened version had a different meaning in English.

Reminds me of some work I did for a group with the proposed name of Tyne Wear Alternative Transport. I thought they were kidding when I found out the name, but nope.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Reminds me of some work I did for a group with the proposed name of Tyne Wear Alternative Transport. I thought they were kidding when I found out the name, but nope.
I've told the tale before but, along similar lines; the Shrewsbury College of Arts and Technology was proud of its acronym S.C.A.T. and had it printed on everything.....until someone cheeky that I know pointed them in the direction of a dictionary.:whistle:

They've now rebranded simply as Shrewsbury College.

For five year protection

View attachment 383556
See, that one has been better done in history.

Back in the day (1950s), Durex was a brand of sticky tape in Australia. No, not A brand, THE brand. So most people called sticky tape, Durex. Think sellotape. btw, I assume it's the same manufacturer, they just had different leading products in different markets. That meant that my aunts who travelled to England all had amusing stories of wanting to stick something down, and having an embarrassing moment following their request to "pass me the durex". Though I have an equal number of aunts and uncles, these stories only came from the aunts. I don't know what that means.

Note: I believe the stories because people born in the 1930s in Australia did refer to sticky tape as durex, and because that unambiguously means something else in the UK. Me? I only use "durex" to tell this story.

3M-durex.jpg

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
See, that one has been better done in history.

Back in the day (1950s), Durex was a brand of sticky tape in Australia. No, not A brand, THE brand. So most people called sticky tape, Durex. Think sellotape. btw, I assume it's the same manufacturer, they just had different leading products in different markets. That meant that my aunts who travelled to England all had amusing stories of wanting to stick something down, and having an embarrassing moment following their request to "pass me the durex". Though I have an equal number of aunts and uncles, these stories only came from the aunts. I don't know what that means.

Note: I believe the stories because people born in the 1930s in Australia did refer to sticky tape as durex, and because that unambiguously means something else in the UK. Me? I only use "durex" to tell this story.

View attachment 383561

:laugh:

Talk about Rolling your own

Top Bottom