Bad Product Names Faux-Pas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've told the tale before but, along similar lines; the Shrewsbury College of Arts and Technology was proud of its acronym S.C.A.T. and had it printed on everything.....until someone cheeky that I know pointed them in the direction of a dictionary.:whistle:

They've now rebranded simply as Shrewsbury College.
I think the Cambridge University Netball Team suffered the same problem.

The Mitsubishi Shogun is only called the Shogun in Europe and Latin-America. Everywhere else, and on grey imports to the UK, it's the Pajero, which is Spanish for "w@nker". The Vauxhall Nova being renamed Corsa to avoid 'no go' connotations in Spanish is an urban myth though ^_^

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I bought some of this in the French Alps. Tasted better than it sounds.
DSCF3811.JPG

See, that one has been better done in history.

Back in the day (1950s), Durex was a brand of sticky tape in Australia. No, not A brand, THE brand. So most people called sticky tape, Durex. Think sellotape. btw, I assume it's the same manufacturer, they just had different leading products in different markets. That meant that my aunts who travelled to England all had amusing stories of wanting to stick something down, and having an embarrassing moment following their request to "pass me the durex". Though I have an equal number of aunts and uncles, these stories only came from the aunts. I don't know what that means.

Note: I believe the stories because people born in the 1930s in Australia did refer to sticky tape as durex, and because that unambiguously means something else in the UK. Me? I only use "durex" to tell this story.

View attachment 383561
They’re still referring to sticky tape as durex. I got confused a couple of times until this was explained to me.

jefmcg

Guru
They’re still referring to sticky tape as durex. I got confused a couple of times until this was explained to me.
Really? Who? Growing up I only ever heard it from people who would be in their eighties now. I don't think I have ever seen durex tape, sellotape and scotchtape where the brand names by the 70s. I remember having to ask my father what durex was (as I am sure many here can also remember, but with a different answer ;) )

Really? Who? Growing up I only ever heard it from people who would be in their eighties now. I don't think I have ever seen durex tape, sellotape and scotchtape where the brand names by the 70s. I remember having to ask my father what durex was (as I am sure many here can also remember, but with a different answer ;) )
Really - yes. Out of around probably 250 people I’ve been asked to pass the durex 2 or 3 times. Maybe it’s a local thing.

Top Bottom