Badgering the council about unsafe cycle paint..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This seems to have paid off. I've been highlighting how dangerous this stupid cycle paint is for years and the council finally agreed to remove it when the local paper jumped on my near-miss with an HGV. It has taken them some months to put it in their work schedule but at last the dreaded misleading murder strip is going.

It is even worse further up as the cycle paint stays the same width but the remaining lane for cars narrows to about 4 feet. Drivers staying in "their" lane suddenly have to cope with traffic joining from a junction on the right, and the need to get across to avoid squashing the cyclist who is blissfully climbing up in his little bit of paint only to find a Discovery driver pressing into his shoulder.

IMG_20190312_172601_087.jpg
cyclepaint going.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done in getting that removed
I have a similar road in Bromley on my commute, it's a bloody nightmare.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Tarmac had the cheek to refer to the "presumably up to standard bike lane" which misled their driver into belting past me, a paintbrush-width away from my shoulder.

Another good reason to wear lycra, it is close-fitting & less likely to snag on passing trucks.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Picture showing the widening of the "ahead" lane and the narrowing of the right-turn lane together with deletion of the cycle paint lane.
wider lane.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm still waiting for them to start removing 'Traffic Calming' measures, you know those silly 'pinch points' that drivers have to squeeze though in front at the side of any cyclists. :cursing:
I have amended that to how it is around here, I actually didn't think a cyclist & a Volvo could fit through one of these in our village, but the Volvo driver was determined to prove me wrong.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm still waiting for them to start removing 'Traffic Calming' measures, you know those silly 'pinch points' that drivers have to squeeze though in front of any cyclists. :cursing:

They took a load out in Milton Keynes. They did little to address the speeding problem, but added to it by creating a head on collision and dead motorist problem.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You're lucky, I complained to Glasgow Council about the murder strip along Kilmarnock Road and the farkers repainted it!

View attachment 482232
Just take a stencil and a rattle can and paint Ø over the bike symbols. They clearly simply forgot to add that bit of the marking to warn cyclists not to ride in the dooring zone.

Well done @Arjimlad. That'll do until they redo the road properly, remove the pinch points and put 2.5m cycle lanes in ;)

Top Bottom