Badgering the council about unsafe cycle paint..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It is a bit odd that they've built it out from both sides a fraction at the same point, rather than one side then the other, with cycle bypasses - which is itself not a great design.

Anyway, that's not really a chicane, is it? It's just an artificial pinch point again using cyclists as human speed bumps.

Can anyone remember what would the Dutch do? I don't remember artificial pinch points on A roads there. In general, bike-friendly speed humps seemed to be the weapon of choice for slowing motorists down (and they have lovely bike-unfriendly ones in the few places they want to slow cyclists down...)

They are different lengths down that road, more representative of a traditional single lane chicane. But the reason they build them from both sides and at seemingly random lengths is that they are also crossing points for pedestrians with dropped curbs... Absolutely amazing idea. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Why are the fozy duckers still using pillows on cycle routes when sinusoidal humps are the way to go?
I wish I knew, the other thing is there is a huge grass verge down the middle of the road separating traffic in both directions, it’s really wide and I suspect it’s where the trams used to run, could have extended the road into that & built a good bike path on both sides of the road

Reactions: mjr

Drago

Legendary Member
In Milton Keynes the roads are like that in many places because that's where the trams were intended to be run, before the budget was yanked. It really could have been the city of the future in that regard, but the car driving budget holders stopped it dead, which is a genuine shame.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Absolutely shocking. Im amazed the innocent fellow was still conscious after that. Banned for 4 and a half years? Im not sure id want share a road with that driver ever. not now, not then...

Top Bottom