Badgering the council about unsafe cycle paint..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
The cycle lane that runs down from Middleton to Belle Isle in Leeds is bad as the council have installed the pillows to slow cars down, but fitted them nearer to the left, rather then centrally so cars are pushed to the left instigating a close pass :wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cycle lane that runs down from Middleton to Belle Isle in Leeds is bad as the council have installed the pillows to slow cars down, but fitted them nearer to the left, rather then centrally so cars are pushed to the left instigating a close pass :wacko:
Why are the fozy duckers still using pillows on cycle routes when sinusoidal humps are the way to go?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
WTF is that, it puts you right in the door zone. That's a disgrace.

Yep, if you use it you’ll get shaved by umpteen cars and buses and if you don’t you’ll get punishment passes with drivers leaning on the horn while screaming at you. The council says they’re there to make drivers more aware there are cyclists using the road. Aside from two short new segregated routes heading into the city, Glasgow council seems hellbent on discouraging cycling.

I'm still waiting for them to start removing 'Traffic Calming' measures, you know those silly 'pinch points' that drivers have to squeeze though in front of any cyclists. :cursing:

Try this one. :wacko:

Notice the small gap for a thin bike without any pedals!

Which is close to where I live, although put in before I moved in, so I never got a change to complain before hand. Sadly they don't intend to alter it.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Try this one. :wacko:

Notice the small gap for a thin bike without any pedals!

Which is close to where I live, although put in before I moved in, so I never got a change to complain before hand. Sadly they don't intend to alter it.

What a wasted opportunity. The objective could have been achieved so easily without creating such a barrier to cycling.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well done @Arjimlad

You're lucky, I complained to Glasgow Council about the murder strip along Kilmarnock Road and the fukkers repainted it!

View attachment 482232

Similar one on Billing Road in Northampton. Luckily, the regular lanes are a decent width so cars and the like don't encroach too badly. Alas, the line runs right in the Death Zone and it doesn't take too many near misses to figure that you're simply safer riding in the regular lane, which then brings the abuse for not being in the cycle lane...

I read a while back in the Cycling UK chipwrapper that the casualty rate for cycling infrastructure is higher than that for regular roads, and I can quite believe it.

mjr

I read a while back in the Cycling UK chipwrapper that the casualty rate for cycling infrastructure is higher than that for regular roads, and I can quite believe it.
The 1980s called and want their zombie statistic back. ;)

As far as can be told(*), injury rates are broadly similar, which is what I would expect because you remove the often-serious shunts, concertinas and T bones at speed but add more junctions mostly for low-speed mishaps and many layouts which are botched and substandard.

* - Many analyses don't count cycle lanes as infrastructure and UK reports are not great in several ways: STATS19, CRASH and HES all have their quirks on this. There's also a contrversy of whether cycleway/carriageway junction crashes count towards casualty numbers for cycleway, carriageway, both or neither.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
These Chicanes are a lethal menace too. On paper they work (ignoring the fact cycling exists for a moment) but unfortunately in the case of that village, people race to be the first through so they don't have to engage brakes and stop for a few seconds and give way (oh the horror), often exceeding the 30 mph speed limits to do so and frequently causing near misses and there have been accidents. On top of that, (going back to the fact that cycling does exist) you can't see cyclists (even mopeds and motorcycles) quite often behind the other cars especially 4x4, vans and lorries that do use that road as it leads to the A38 and often motorists misjudge and try to pull out into the chicane too early causing all sorts of problems and so it really is a terrible idea. Awful...

mjr

Jeez that's a drastic bit of 'traffic calming', I take it the pavement on the right has been designated 'dual use'. :cursing:
No signs or flat kerbs so I don't think it has. Cyclists are being used as human speed bumps again. Completely needless giving so much space to white fences and road paint when it could have been put to so much better use. :sad:

mjr

These Chicanes are a lethal menace too. On paper they work (ignoring the fact cycling exists for a moment) but unfortunately in the case of that village, people race to be the first through so they don't have to engage brakes and stop for a few seconds and give way (oh the horror), often exceeding the 30 mph speed limits to do so and frequently causing near misses and there have been accidents. On top of that, (going back to the fact that cycling does exist) you can't see cyclists (even mopeds and motorcycles) quite often behind the other cars especially 4x4, vans and lorries that do use that road as it leads to the A38 and often motorists misjudge and try to pull out into the chicane too early causing all sorts of problems and so it really is a terrible idea. Awful...
It is a bit odd that they've built it out from both sides a fraction at the same point, rather than one side then the other, with cycle bypasses - which is itself not a great design.

Anyway, that's not really a chicane, is it? It's just an artificial pinch point again using cyclists as human speed bumps.

Can anyone remember what would the Dutch do? I don't remember artificial pinch points on A roads there. In general, bike-friendly speed humps seemed to be the weapon of choice for slowing motorists down (and they have lovely bike-unfriendly ones in the few places they want to slow cyclists down...)

Top Bottom