Badly Drawn Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
When an ungated level crossing still shows this...
View attachment 556344

Well, how much does this look like an even moderately modern train?
:biggrin:

And the speed camera warning signs show … a 1940s Rolleiflex. It's all to do with how certain visual depictions become symbolic, and persist in the public consciousness long beyond their time. In the same way, everyone understands the 'wind your car window down' gesture, even kids who have been brought up on electric windows and have to ask what that funny handle on the door is for. No one mimes pressing a button.

Mind you, things can change. I am reliably informed by a Young Person of my acquaintance that the traditional 'phone you' gesture (little finger and thumb extended, hand held to ear) is almost obsolete amongst the under-25s. They use a flat hand held against the ear, like the smartphones they use daily. Similarly, a waggling of thumbs with hands close together means 'I'll text you'.

And the speed camera warning signs show … a 1940s Rolleiflex.

This made me wonder what a German "Speed camera" sign looks like, as I couldn't remember seeing one.

It turns out there isn't one. Apparently German authorities take the attitude that if you're speeding, you deserve to get caught. The cameras also tend to be painted green as well.

However, to my great satisfaction I found there is a new sign as of this year to reflect the changes in traffic in Germany (which conveniently almost brings me back to the thread subject):

d%3B_Sinnbild_nach_%C2%A7_39_StVO%2C_StVO_2020.svg.png

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Mind you, things can change. I am reliably informed by a Young Person of my acquaintance that the traditional 'phone you' gesture (little finger and thumb extended, hand held to ear) is almost obsolete amongst the under-25s. They use a flat hand held against the ear, like the smartphones they use daily. Similarly, a waggling of thumbs with hands close together means 'I'll text you'.

Indeed. My son who's only 7, does the flat hand gesture.

Top Bottom