Bagpuss Had It Right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We pull each others legs all the time about the war, football, Monty Python. It is not Xenophobic. It having a sense of humour and not taking things seriously.
"It's bantz" isn't a great defence of it, and I hope you'd agree that what might be OK in private between consenting adults might become a problem if broadcast on a public wall.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It's getting that you have to seriously reread everything you are considering posting in case it offends someone on
Hostility? F*ck me.

Are you upset about the French jokes on this thread?

I was going to mention the garlic chomping , cheese eating surrender ……. But reckon I’d get shot for that as well :blush: .

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's wasn't the Welsh league, it wasn't the wordle colours and, more pertinently, it was all a bit "ha ha ha they talk funny" really. Very low humour. I'm not at all surprised someone took offence. It's one thing to ban Welsh language posts on here due to lack of moderators, but it's another level of hostility to ridicule its linguistic community IMO.

Edit to add: slurs against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping are specifically mentioned in the rules as trolling, so I'm surprised the mods even hesitated... and that a football thread hasn't been locked, because so many of its "fan" insults of other clubs are based on that!
The mods hesitated because intent is also important. My view is that there was no intent to offend in this instance.

As for locking the football thread - I'm sure that would go down well.:rolleyes:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's getting that you have to seriously reread everything you are considering posting in case it offends someone on here!

I wouldn't bother tbh.

Those with a permanently-on offence radar will find a way to twist whatever your final output is.

Indeed, this post is probably offensive to those who are permanently offended as it derides their MO.

Shame on me. 🙂

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not offended on the song as I'm not quite sure what the lyrics are, though I understand that's the point of the song - the artist wrote it to explore communication barriers.

Yeah I'm gonna say there was probably a bit more thought put into it than the Welsh Wordle joke but it's the same principle.

Incidentally Josh Wardle is Welsh. I don't know if he would have an opinion on the situation.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
League table post and comment about Welsh Wordle. OP is Welsh.
someone linked it above I think

Seriously? If the OP thought that was racist, they simply don't know what the word means. Wikipedia calls it 'prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group', which will do as a working def. In what way was the 'Welsh wordle' joke (excellent, in passing) prejudiced against or antagonistic towards anyone? I'm sorry it got removed. I know the mods have been under a bit of pressure lately, but there's no need to prostrate CC before palpable idiocy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seriously? If the OP thought that was racist, they simply don't know what the word means. Wikipedia calls it 'prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group', which will do as a working def. In what way was the 'Welsh wordle' joke (excellent, in passing) prejudiced against or antagonistic towards anyone? I'm sorry it got removed. I know the mods have been under a bit of pressure lately, but there's no need to prostrate CC before palpable idiocy.

Clearly the Welsh-speaking Welsh OP felt it was 🤷‍♀️ or he wouldn’t have complained and then quit the forum

Julia9054

Guru
It's getting that you have to seriously reread everything you are considering posting in case it offends someone on here!

Shouldn't we do that anyway? Posting on a public forum is not the same as chatting with friends where, due to knowing your audience, you can be fairly certain how a comment will be received. It's not PC gawn mad, it's just good etiquette.

AndyRM

XOXO
"It's bantz" isn't a great defence of it, and I hope you'd agree that what might be OK in private between consenting adults might become a problem if broadcast on a public wall.

Mais vous n'avez pas de problème avec les blagues sur le français sur ce fil?

Top Bottom