Bagpuss Had It Right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Nah, its ignorant but it's not racist.

I can see how it could be seen as racist, though personally, I agree with you. But as CharleyFarley says above, it is sometimes in the eye of the beholder.

If something's offensive and nobody seems to understand why, perhaps an attempt could be made to explain and educate? We might all learn something. That would demonstrate the forum's strength rather than bemoan its weakness.

Unfortunately the OP hasn't specified, but general opinion is that this one is likely:

Full fat huns v diet huns final :laugh: .

Personally I find this annoying, as much due to my background as anything; it uses stereotyping language and a name for Germans that was used to stir up hatred in the past, and it saddens me that many people in the UK haven't managed to move on.

It does get a bit tiring when speaking to British people in the UK when they find I live in Germany and they trot out the same old tired stereotypes and think they're being highly amusing and original. Strictly speaking it would be hard to describe it as "racist" if the speaker is Pigmentally challenged and British as we are largely of the same racial group as Germans, but it could be described as Xenophobic, so there is a case to be made that if a post about a Tricycle is to be deleted as sexist, then this should be deleted as Xenophobic, maybe.

I must admit I weas a bit confused by the offence caused by the "Tricycle" post, but I put that down to cultural differences.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
The moderater who at will closes / locks / deletes threads refuses to do anything about an openly racist comment on the football thread.

My only assumption can be that he / she supports this racism.

I feel sure he / she will put a different spin on it and you will all " like " the response given.

I can see why Bagpuss did one, and so many others like Screenman etc decided to leave.

I feel sure you will all have a good laugh at this post and use the word "flounce" repeatedly but if whilst you having your laugh please remember you are supporting the racism condoned by the moderator.

I wish you all well but no longer wish to be part of a board that supports racism in any form.

View: https://media.giphy.com/media/tyqcJoNjNv0Fq/giphy.gif

I've got some beer if anyone wants one.^_^

Alex321

Veteran
In response to the OP saying that "the" moderator "refuses" - has he actually reported the post he believes to be racist? Moderators don't read every single post, they often rely on posts beig reported to see a problem.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
a name for Germans that was used to stir up hatred in the past, and it saddens me that many people in the UK haven't managed to move on.

Most decent people have moved on, it's mostly just ignorant football fans and the gutter press who still use such words

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I think some people need to learn about the nuances of Scottish football.

"Huns" isn't racist and a court ruled it wasn't even Sectarian.

It's a term used almost exclusively by Celtic fans nowadays towards Rangers fans (and clubs they deem aligned with Protestantism) but in the 50s was a term used by both sides to abuse the other, basically saying they were no better than the Germans with WWII still fresh in the minds. Celtic fans, being aligned with Ireland who were seen as being at best neutral, at worst sympathetic to the Nazis whilst Rangers fans, being drawn largely from Govan, were accused of using the excuse of being shipyard workers to avoid being called up to fight.

Yeah, petty stuff.

In the 60s, after Rangers fans ran amok after a game, a newspaper compared them to rampaging Huns (as in Attilla, the) and the name stuck.

At least, this is how various Bluenoses and Tims have explained it to me over the years ^_^

Top Bottom