Balance bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mrs B wants to buy our grand daughter a balance bike for Christmas, (no complaints from me), but I have no experience of them except seeing kids on them on Boxing Day.
Frame styles for the earliest year's riders generally seem to be a banana shape, either upward sloping or downward sloping. My gut feeling would be that downward sloping would feel more stable for a first bike with it having a lower centre of gravity. But any feedback about this would be appreciated.
Also does a brake make much difference to the rider's shoe wear, or do the toes and soles of shoes still get hammered for braking?

Domus

Guru
We bought our granddaughter a Frog Tadpole Sky balance bike, she did not take to it at all. However her younger brother loved it, he gained so much confidence he soon progressed to a pedal bike at 4 years old. The Tadpole has a rear brake and he got to grips with the concept very quickly, he was soon hurtling down slopes and skidding to a halt giggling like a loony. Our third grandchild was born this very day and will one day learn on it, it still looks like new.👍

Nebulous

Guru
Both my grandchildren started on the same specialized balance bike.
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-hotwalk-2020-balance-bike-EV359500
They both started roughly around the age they could walk, and both progressed to a pedal bike before they were 3. It was very difficult to get a pump on to the tyres of their one, but I see they have now changed to 'airless' tyres. I don't think brakes would have been used, but it was definitely hard on shoes.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

We bought our granddaughter a Frog Tadpole Sky balance bike, she did not take to it at all. However her younger brother loved it, he gained so much confidence he soon progressed to a pedal bike at 4 years old. The Tadpole has a rear brake and he got to grips with the concept very quickly, he was soon hurtling down slopes and skidding to a halt giggling like a loony. Our third grandchild was born this very day and will one day learn on it, it still looks like new.👍
Both my grandchildren started on the same specialized balance bike.
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-hotwalk-2020-balance-bike-EV359500
They both started roughly around the age they could walk, and both progressed to a pedal bike before they were 3. It was very difficult to get a pump on to the tyres of their one, but I see they have now changed to 'airless' tyres. I don't think brakes would have been used, but it was definitely hard on shoes.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
The link provided by @steven1988 was very helpful and one I hadn't seen when doing preliminary research.

John_S

Über Member
Hi Bazzer,

Both of my children learned to ride on a Strider bike and then made a really quick transition to a pedal bike without stabalisers within minutes of trying one for the first time and so I do believe that balance bikes are good for kids.

The Strider doesn't have a brake and my kids never used a balance bike with a brake and so I don't have that as a comparison but I never found the lack of a brake to be an issue.

https://www.striderbike.co.uk/

I also saw this online today which might be of interest.

https://road.cc/content/buyers-guid...e-bikes-push-alongs-kids-get-them-ready-pedal

Good luck picking one.

John

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm not convinced that there is much difference between the best and an average balance bike. Weight, yes, but if they want to ride, they will. Brakes? My son's had a back brake, which was very useful as he was fearless and would fly down the slopes at slightly above my sprint running pace. Without brakes he would have had no control at all. However the back brake was a problem as he would just grab the brake as hard as possible to stop, and then fish-tale his way off the bike as he lost all rear grip.

To be honest, the best thing that you can do is to inspire her to ride it. Unfortunately all children are different, so I can't help you on that respect, but demand to see her on it, asking for photos / videos, asking where she has been, where she wants to go, going out with her and treating her for riding are some random suggestions.

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Many thanks chaps for the links and comments.

To be honest, the best thing that you can do is to inspire her to ride it. Unfortunately all children are different, so I can't help you on that respect, but demand to see her on it, asking for photos / videos, asking where she has been, where she wants to go, going out with her and treating her for riding are some random suggestions.
That would be the intention. We have childcare duties on a two weekly rota with the in laws, so see her regularly, as well as at other times, so I will not be wanting to see it locked in the shed. ^_^

Domus

Guru
This is Benjamin, not yet three after a hard balance around HollingworthLake.

IMG_0166.jpg

OP
OP
Bazzer

Bazzer

Mrs B and I are looking after our granddaughter on Monday, so we will take the opportunity to take her to Evans in the Trafford Centre just to see what they have, how she sizes up and responds.

Top Bottom