Bald head and helmets!

oldworld

Active Member
I find cold wind coming through the slots of the helmet unpleasant. I'm sure I'm not alone and wonder what solutions have been found. I thought of some form of skull cap but wondered if anything was available purpose made?
 

slow scot

Über Member
Location
Aberdeen
Or just an old style cycling cap? In colder weather a thin skull cap.
Oh, welcome to the site!
 

vickster

Legendary Member
Buff under helmet or skullcap (you can get cycling specific ones in a variety of weights).
You can get helmet covers too as an alternate solution when cold and especially wet
 

bluenotebob

Über Member
Location
France
I have the same problem and I'll be wearing a woolly hat under the helmet after October. It's large enough to cover my ears too - which become painful if not protected from the cold. I've seen some woollen skullcaps in sports shops - but they're quite expensive and I don't think they'd be very effective. I sweat under the woolly hat - but at least my head's warm...
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
I refer you to my reply in an earlier thread...

In hot or mild weather, I wear a light bandana under the helmet. (I have an ever-growing bald spot which can get burned by the sun or chilled in cooler conditions. It is also useful for absorbing sweat.)

In cool conditions, I use a buff.

In cold/wet conditions I wear a gore skull cap. I found a new one my size lying on a footpath when I was out on a walk over local hills!
 

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
 

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Cycling cap. Peak up in the sun peak down in rain, great for keeping rain out of your eyes. Absorbs sweat when hot and keeps you warm when cold. Also reduces the risk of an insect sting if one goes through the vents.
 

ColinJ

Puzzle game developer
Cycling cap. Peak up in the sun peak down in rain, great for keeping rain out of your eyes. Absorbs sweat when hot and keeps you warm when cold. Also reduces the risk of an insect sting if one goes through the vents.
I tried one once but couldn't find one big enough for my head... I cut the elastic and could then just about get it on but it looked stupid and was not comfortable!
 

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find cold wind coming through the slots of the helmet unpleasant. I'm sure I'm not alone and wonder what solutions have been found. I thought of some form of skull cap but wondered if anything was available purpose made?
I use a cycle cap 95% of the time, the other 5% is either a buff or insulated skull cap. It has to be very cold before either of those come out. A cycle cap really covers most eventualities across the year.
 
Top Bottom