Bald head and helmets!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I use the basic skull cap from Decathlon in the worst months of winter, my helmets tend to be bought fairly snug fitting and the Decathlon caps are nice and smooth and thin. I think they're about 4 pounds. "Traditional" cycling caps are nice but they're that bit bulky for my helmet fit.
In summer I don't bother, the vents are there to cool the head after all.

Reactions: C R

MntnMan62

Über Member
I use a Halo Protex Bandana for colder weather. I'm not much of a cold weather rider but for temps in the 60's and 50's I'll use this. In colder weather I'm using the elliptical inside.

https://store.haloheadband.com/Halo-Protex-Bandana-p/pb.htm

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Cycling cap. Peak up in the sun peak down in rain, great for keeping rain out of your eyes. Absorbs sweat when hot and keeps you warm when cold. Also reduces the risk of an insect sting if one goes through the vents.
This for me too. As a baldly don’t underestimate the importance in summer. I once forgot and my head got burnt through the vent holes. I looked like a leopard on top. Of course everyone found it hilarious.

weareHKR

Someone bought me under helmet skull cap last Christmas, tried it once but it completely cut off the blood supply to my very small brain.
Might bob it on here for sale if anyone's interested, when I find it!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Buffs
Cut them down into 4 to make sweat bands , half for a cold day and full size for when its freezing .Got loads "free " over the years from various cycling mags

12boy

Guru
In the summer it is a bandanna, and if it's really hot, with most hanging in back to keep the sun off my redneck. In the winter a wool or polyester cap or two, and when below 10C, a balaclava is nice. Hands, feet and noggin gotta be warm or the ride will be spent thinking about them instead of enjoying the ride. If the forehead is cold the nose runs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I just put duct tape over the holes (from inside the helmet) when the clocks go back and take it off when they go forward.
Sticking unapproved stuff to your helmet is cautioned against in even more helmet instructions than wearing something between head and helmet! A proper helmet cover would be better. Even a shower cap might do.

I find a merino beanie keeps my head warm and I think it's enough padding for most falls I'm likely to have.

weareHKR

In the summer it is a bandanna,
:becool::notworthy:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I shave my head every two days even in Winter.I wear a white breathable skullcap in Summer(otherwise I get burned through the vents very easily) and in Winter I wear either a Sealskinz Skullcap or a Mavic Winter cap with peak and ear covering.I find anything thicker than a skullcap uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I have my head every two days even in Winter.I wear a white breathable skullcap in Summer(otherwise I get burned through the vents very easily) and in Winter I wear either a Sealskinz Skullcap or a Mavic Winter cap with peak and ear covering.I find anything thicker than a skullcap uncomfortable.

You only have a head every 2 days ??? - I'd be straight to my GP !!!!

How do you see where you are going ????

Kryton521

Über Member
I have my head every two days even in Winter.I wear a white breathable skullcap in Summer(otherwise I get burned through the vents very easily) and in Winter I wear either a Sealskinz Skullcap or a Mavic Winter cap with peak and ear covering.I find anything thicker than a skullcap uncomfortable.

Oh my that was a rough divorce deal!!!

Skull cap for my (completely) bald head in the depths of winter, otherwise prefer putting up with a little cold for first few minutes, rather than sweaty head for rest of ride. Do keep spare in back pocket in case of "mechanical" when I either need to pop on or replace sweaty one already on, as amazing how quickly you lose body heat on a cold day once stationary (you hirsute types simply don't know you're born :okay:).

Top Bottom