Ball of right foot going numb on pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It used to be on rides over an hour but I'm getting it more frequently now. I'm using Shimano A520 pedals and Tahoe shoes, which I know people say they get hotspots in. Are hotspots the same as numbness? No other problems, so I think my positioning is right, just the numbness in the ball of my foot which goes if I remove my foot and move it around. Anyone got any suggestions for this?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

No-one experienced similar, must be someone?

I just posted a thread about this with regard to getting new pedals.

I haven't experienced 'hot-foot' as such, but found that, having wide feet, I'd tightened my shoes a notch or two too tight and had this numbness-feeling.

Also unclipping and rotating the foot around eases the problem, but it's not always practical on a long steep ascent! :thumbsup:

Broadside

Guru
Hot spots refer to areas that experience problems, whether it is a burning sensation, numbness or pins and needles. I had very bad hot spots when using standard pedals. Now I use SPD-SL road shoes and pedals which has vastly improved the situation but I still get some issues after 50 miles. I have to conciously wiggle my feet in the shoes and jump off for a quick walk if it gets too bad.

You might find the situation improves if you go for full road shoes as they spread the load more evenly, but there again you might not. It's one of those trial and error things I'm afraid.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I was afraid it might be trial and error so the more personal experiences I can gather the better for making my first choice in trying to solve it, is the theory.

zacklaws

Guru
I only suffer it if I wear socks which are padded on only the pressure points like those I get from Lidl or Aldi, yet the latest ones I have just bought seem fine, a pair of ordinary cycling socks which are padded all over the sole sorts the problem out for me

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Crackle said:
It used to be on rides over an hour but I'm getting it more frequently now. I'm using Shimano A520 pedals and Tahoe shoes, which I know people say they get hotspots in. Are hotspots the same as numbness? No other problems, so I think my positioning is right, just the numbness in the ball of my foot which goes if I remove my foot and move it around. Anyone got any suggestions for this?

I get it too in my left foot - which is my smaller of my two feet, and do the same as you - move my foot around. I've got a ladies version of the Tahoe.

navrat_biker

check your shoes are not too tight. I tend to get this when the strap across the top of my foot is slightly tight so i make sure that it has room for when my feet swell slightly on hot days when cycling. there was once an article in cycling active about cleat position and how it can affect your feet like this. will see what i can find on it and post here if i do.

Agree, I've only ever experienced such a sensation when my shoes have been too tight (or too narrow).

Loosen the straps off/ go without socks/ remove or use a thinner insole.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I think you're both partially right. From what I'm reading having a high instep is my problem, so lacing my shoes right (there are high instep lacing techniques apparently) and having the right shoes is probably my problem: Probably.

Top Bottom