bands from a while ago that you've rediscovered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've put all my all about eve stuff onto the mac & ipod and i have to say i had completely forgotten how great they were, and the live tracks reminded me of how fantastic a live act they were.

and to think i nearly put the lot on ebay :blush:

anyone else rediscovered a previously cherished artist and realised that their music transcends the era you liked them in originally?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I sadly, in my yoof, gave away a major shed load of singles when I became a soul boy, as in if it aint black I don't want it.
Do I bloody regret that, they may not have been the icons of music, but they were part of my life.
Happily due to the t'interweb, I'm now able to download and recover my yoof.

i don't think i've ever parted with a record i've bought. i have given loads of stuff to the local oxfam, but that was stuff i got from my old job and was, mainly, duplicates and stuff i'd never ever play. i still have loads of unwanted CDs from that time.

as for rediscovering a band... i did lose track of Yo La Tengo for a while, their records were hard to get here and it was before internet shopping. i 'found' them again when Hal Hartley featured their stuff in his films and i went out and tracked down the stuff i didn't have (it was only two albums anyway).

i'm losing track of stuff now, but that's because there's no local record shop to check out new releases and to warn me of upcoming stuff. i blame the internet.

domtyler

Über Member
I still regularly listen to all of the Smiths albums who I first got into when I was about fourteen, so over twenty years I've listening to 'em! :blush:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Jeez, this is the sort of thread I find really hard, because basically once I start thinking about it, my whole day is gone! Currently re-listening to a load of old ska stuff I was into yrs ago, plus Everything But the Girl too! :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Jeez, this is the sort of thread I find really hard, because basically once I start thinking about it, my whole day is gone! Currently re-listening to a load of old ska stuff I was into yrs ago, plus Everything But the Girl too! :blush:

Hey, I almost put the Specials down but didn't bother. Ghost Town was one of the first singles I ever bought. I can remember when me and my brother used to hold a 'Disco' in the garage and play that on a little mono record player of my Dads.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
Hey, I almost put the Specials down but didn't bother. Ghost Town was one of the first singles I ever bought. I can remember when me and my brother used to hold a 'Disco' in the garage and play that on a little mono record player of my Dads.
Crivens! You make me feel old... I was 16 when the Specials first hit the scene. Prince Buster at the mo, for me, dug out an old vinyl album, plus a 12" single I got off a market once, the lyrics of which are so rude that some are actually bleeped out!

Bigtallfatbloke

supertramp...crime of the century...Hide in your shell.

domtyler said:

this is a bit Father Ted.

SamNichols

laurence said:
i don't think i've ever parted with a record i've bought. i have given loads of stuff to the local oxfam, but that was stuff i got from my old job and was, mainly, duplicates and stuff i'd never ever play. i still have loads of unwanted CDs from that time.

as for rediscovering a band... i did lose track of Yo La Tengo for a while, their records were hard to get here and it was before internet shopping. i 'found' them again when Hal Hartley featured their stuff in his films and i went out and tracked down the stuff i didn't have (it was only two albums anyway).

i'm losing track of stuff now, but that's because there's no local record shop to check out new releases and to warn me of upcoming stuff. i blame the internet.

Don't blame the internet: the internet has only democratized getting music - it's far easier to find about good up and coming music (try Drowned in Sound or Pitchfork, which are both excellent). The death of the local record shop has been largely because of the massive chains such as Virgin Megastore (which has now gone down hill) and HMV or Fopp. All of these outlets have tended to aggressively target areas with a booming record scene, filching customers by undercutting smaller record shops by undercutting them. The internet has itself meant their death, as it's far easier to get hold of music: this has lead, in itself, to an upturn in the sales of local record shops. Places like Rough Trade are booming (and have now changed locations), as well as second hand places getting higher. Large chains only end up undermining their own success by being too aggressive: this leads to the cycle reversing.

SamNichols

Also, to go back onto track, I am re-listening to a lot of old hiphop albums that I own at the moment: MC Solaar, Spooks. Also, Jazz: Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Oscar Peterson and John Coltrane mainly.

Top Bottom