Bang Goes Cycling's Reputation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I was trying to follow a cycle path near home which is in reality turned out to be somewhat of an offroad route. Took the wrong turn and came across a local farmer who directed me the right way and we got chatting about cycling. Turned out he did a bit of cycling and had the same bike from, I think, the 1980s. He was interested in my bike but didn't see the need to replace his yet. Clearly not one to waste money on the latest "must have".

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
That would be Mattonsea, thoroughly nice chap. I and several others here spent a weekend on his farm. I've lost touch but I believe he is still dairy farming and fortunately has escaped the oppression of the supermarkets.
+Mattonsea.

Reactions: TVC

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
His farm is on the edge of the New Forest and looks out on the Isle of Wight. An awful place to live and go cycling. :rolleyes:
I took him for a ride up Newbury way a couple of years ago. He was good company and less than complimentary about his fellow Foresters.

The New Forest is a funny one for cycling and I tend to avoid it in the summer, partly because of the traffic but also because the locals nurse a bit of a grudge against cyclists. Winter, Spring and late Autumn it's glorious.

Julia9054

Guru
His farm is on the edge of the New Forest and looks out on the Isle of Wight. An awful place to live and go cycling. :rolleyes:
Went to a wedding down there at the weekend. Don't know about cyclists but there were plenty of traditional golf club types

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, don't get me started about golfists, driving the convertible cars and rattling on about their new golf bats, wearing stupid clothes, weird handshakes....

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
[QUOTE 5281876, member: 43827"]I went to the bank last week for a meeting with one of the advisers. Making casual conversation with her I asked if golf was still popular with senior staff in the banking industry.

She said that not many of them played it now. Cycling seemed to have taken over as the 'must do' sport.[/QUOTE]

FPKBs, presumably ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I also know several very nice, public spirited, left wing people who play golf. One of them even sold me his bike to pay for some new clubs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you talk to golfists they seem to think that cycling is thriving at the expense of golf as people move over, tired of queues, green fees, club rules and snobbery. Golfists are also dying, same as church congregations. Golf clubs are in trouble and closing.... same as churches. Hmmmm... is there a link here?

The New Forest is a funny one for cycling and I tend to avoid it in the summer, partly because of the traffic but also because the locals nurse a bit of a grudge against cyclists. Winter, Spring and late Autumn it's glorious.

It's generally ok mid week but yep, avoid on summer weekends.

Top Bottom