1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Banks and 'junk' mail

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by beanzontoast, 28 Jan 2008.

1. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

This afternoon, I got home to find a letter on the doormat. It was very official looking, clearly from my bank and marked 'urgent reminder'. Imagining what it could be I'd forgotten to pay, what direct debit had gone awry or what other sort of mayhem to expect, I tore it open to find... an advert for joining an air miles type scheme. Clearly the bank's idea of what constitutes an 'urgent' communication does not tally with mine.

They've also taken recently to sending me partly completed forms with my personal details already entered on them and plently of other offers for schemes I have no interest in whatsoever. (We've already done the 'sit down with a personal advisor and sort out your finances' thing with them, so they know we don't need anything more). The potential for identity fraud is obvious. And this is my bank sending them out. It beggars belief.

I rang to complain (and got our account removed from any such advertising in future).

Surely, this is the wrong way around. People who want to receive this kind of marketing should have to opt in to get sent, not opt out?

2. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Change your bank. That's idiocy.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Good luck.

I got a letter from Lloyds TSB a few years ago asking me to contact them urgently about my account. I did, and they invited me in. I sat there while they tried to sell me their products. Each time they came up with something I I actually needed I explained that I had got cheaper elsewhere. Once they had given up I asked that they take my name off their mailing list, as I thought that frightening people into going into the bank just to get the hard-sell was ridiculous. (A woman there also told me I was silly previously because I didn't have insurance to pay for my funeral).

A few weeks later I had the same letter again. I rang just to check that this wasn't a real problem. Nope -trying to sell products. Knowing the manager personally I wrote to her asking her to stop it. She said that she would.

A few weeks later I got another letter asking me to contact them urgently. I did. Telling them to stop it. They apologised and said that I wouldn't get any more.

A few weeks later I got another one.

I'm now with a different bank.

It's disgusting, because more vulnerable people wet themselves when they get these bullying letters.

4. Ashtrayhead

Ashtrayhead Über Member

If they include an envelope send everything back including the envelope all the rubbish arrived in, unsigned of course! Try and make it as heavy as possible so they pay extra postage.

5. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

Banks arn't banks anymore. They are nothing more than high pressure sales outlets. Every aspect of life within a highstreet bank is targeted and monitered to the Nth degree, their sole purpose in life is to make as much money for the bank as they can, they do this whilst telling it's customers they are being helped.

The so called 'financial review' is a scam. It's only there to open up sales opportunities for the adviser/salesperson who is carrying ridiculous and excessive target loads dumped on him/her by uncaring incompetent management. The customer is there to be screwed, then screwed again.

6. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

What made me laugh was when I was told 'So all you will get mailed to you in future from us is your bank statement'.

Strangely enough, that's all I ever wanted in the first place!

7. I find a brick through their window makes no difference but makes you fell a lot better.

While in Lloyds ask them what the B in Lloyds TSB is (It is Bank so it is Lloyds Trustee Savings Bank Bank) which winds them up a bit and then in HSBC correct them on the pronunciation of H each time they say it as they all put a "h" on the front.

That will trim the jumped up little turds down to size a bit.

8. Oh and in the same way Electric suppliers do it with a free safety check scam where they pick on old people and stitch them up.

9. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Pop in a used toothpaste tube too.

That works.

10. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Banks are crap. Try a Building Society
    Or maybe not, which sort was Northern Crock ?

11. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Bank I think.

My best experience with a Building Society came when one that I'd had a bit of money in for donkeys' years decided to convert to a bank and I got a cash windfall. :biggrin:

My worst experience came at the same place years later when I opened a one year bond thingy and at the end of the year, when we went into the branch to sort it, they couldn't find the account details :ohmy::eek::evil::eek::biggrin:....

Obviously, as we'd got the paperwork and pass book, it got sorted in the end, but there was a nasty half hour while the branch staff got together in little clusters trying to work out who'd goofed.

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

My worst experience was during the windfall years when I went into a building society to open an account and they wouldn't let me, because they thought that I'd then vote for them to convert.

So I went to a building society around the corner instead.

Idiots.

13. simonali

simonali Über Member

Another three letters for you.

MPS

14. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Mailing Preference Service? We're already registered and have re-registered occasionally too (which you have to do to keep it effective). Made a slight difference, not a lot. Doesn't seem to affect organisations you already have dealings with.

15. simonali

simonali Über Member

I don't get any junk mail at all for some reason. My wife and I both have credit cards from the same company and she gets mail from them all the time offering loans, insurances etc, but I don't?

Do you get all the crap that the Royal Mail get paid to stick through your door, too? You can opt out of that on their website. I was getting the postie coming to my house just to stick leaflets through the door!!