Banks and 'junk' mail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This afternoon, I got home to find a letter on the doormat. It was very official looking, clearly from my bank and marked 'urgent reminder'. Imagining what it could be I'd forgotten to pay, what direct debit had gone awry or what other sort of mayhem to expect, I tore it open to find... an advert for joining an air miles type scheme. Clearly the bank's idea of what constitutes an 'urgent' communication does not tally with mine.

They've also taken recently to sending me partly completed forms with my personal details already entered on them and plently of other offers for schemes I have no interest in whatsoever. (We've already done the 'sit down with a personal advisor and sort out your finances' thing with them, so they know we don't need anything more). The potential for identity fraud is obvious. And this is my bank sending them out. It beggars belief.

I rang to complain (and got our account removed from any such advertising in future).

Surely, this is the wrong way around. People who want to receive this kind of marketing should have to opt in to get sent, not opt out?

Change your bank. That's idiocy.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
If they include an envelope send everything back including the envelope all the rubbish arrived in, unsigned of course! Try and make it as heavy as possible so they pay extra postage.

Bigtallfatbloke

Banks arn't banks anymore. They are nothing more than high pressure sales outlets. Every aspect of life within a highstreet bank is targeted and monitered to the Nth degree, their sole purpose in life is to make as much money for the bank as they can, they do this whilst telling it's customers they are being helped.

The so called 'financial review' is a scam. It's only there to open up sales opportunities for the adviser/salesperson who is carrying ridiculous and excessive target loads dumped on him/her by uncaring incompetent management. The customer is there to be screwed, then screwed again.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
What made me laugh was when I was told 'So all you will get mailed to you in future from us is your bank statement'.

Strangely enough, that's all I ever wanted in the first place!

I find a brick through their window makes no difference but makes you fell a lot better.

While in Lloyds ask them what the B in Lloyds TSB is (It is Bank so it is Lloyds Trustee Savings Bank Bank) which winds them up a bit and then in HSBC correct them on the pronunciation of H each time they say it as they all put a "h" on the front.

That will trim the jumped up little turds down to size a bit.

Jaded

Ashtrayhead said:
If they include an envelope send everything back including the envelope all the rubbish arrived in, unsigned of course! Try and make it as heavy as possible so they pay extra postage.

Pop in a used toothpaste tube too.

That works.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Banks are crap. Try a Building Society
Or maybe not, which sort was Northern Crock ?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
sheddy said:

Bank I think.

My best experience with a Building Society came when one that I'd had a bit of money in for donkeys' years decided to convert to a bank and I got a cash windfall. :biggrin:

My worst experience came at the same place years later when I opened a one year bond thingy and at the end of the year, when we went into the branch to sort it, they couldn't find the account details :ohmy::eek::evil::eek::biggrin:....

Obviously, as we'd got the paperwork and pass book, it got sorted in the end, but there was a nasty half hour while the branch staff got together in little clusters trying to work out who'd goofed.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
simonali said:
Another three letters for you.

MPS

Mailing Preference Service? We're already registered and have re-registered occasionally too (which you have to do to keep it effective). Made a slight difference, not a lot. Doesn't seem to affect organisations you already have dealings with.

simonali

Guru
I don't get any junk mail at all for some reason. My wife and I both have credit cards from the same company and she gets mail from them all the time offering loans, insurances etc, but I don't?

Do you get all the crap that the Royal Mail get paid to stick through your door, too? You can opt out of that on their website. I was getting the postie coming to my house just to stick leaflets through the door!!

NickM

Veteran
sheddy said:
Northern Rock was a building society until they bribed the customers to agree to changing it into a (hawk, spit) bank.

I have found a Nationwide Anglia current account pretty satisfactory for many years now. No charges, and none of that vulgar "hard selling" nonsense from them. I can't think why anybody would prefer a bank.

Top Bottom