bar ends 2 have or not have

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
had them on my old bike not sure to fit them to the new one . have used them lots in the past . will i miss them on my new bike if i do not fit them ? . do you have them ?

Kies

Biggest thing I miss when riding my flat bar hybrid compared to the roadie is hand positions. So for me bar ends are a must

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not unless you intend to ride lots of flat fast trails and climbs.
I want the change of hand positions to avoid sore arms, which I get after an hour or so on straight bars.

rock_lobster_853_hardtail.jpg

That's just reminded me - my brakes need servicing!

D

Deleted member 23692

I used them on my old bike which had a short(ish) bar and was glad of the extra width (leverage) it gave. New bikes have gone back to wider bars so that extra leverage isn't so relevant any more. Plus there are an accident waiting to happen when riding along narrow tracks with dense foliage to the sides.

So it's a NO from me, but it ultimately depends on what type of riding you tend to do and personal preference.... it's your bike after all :smile:

compo

Veteran
I have basic bar ends, essentially just a bit of slightly bent alloy tube. These were fine for a long while but now I am increasing my mileage by a fair bit I find them not so comfortable after several hours in the saddle and am looking at the shaped, softer ones.

goody

Veteran
No, maybe they are useful and serve a purpose but they make a cool looking MTB look like a commuter. If your bike isn't so cool looking then why not? Up to you really.

Hardrock93

Guru
I wouldn't be without bar ends. Mind, I hardly ever use them, but when I invert the bike for roadside maintenance, they prevent the cycle computer (which I would surely forget about) from being squished!

I went through a stage of using bar ends, but eventually realised that it was because my hand grips were not really comfortable.

When I changed the hand grips, I stopped relying on the bar ends. And to be honest, I prefer the look of the bike without them.

Canrider

Guru
Does On One still make the Mary bar? I found that solved any hand/wrist position problems in a straight bar and removed any (minor) need for bar ends.
Searched: They still sell them in all kinds of variations.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Bar ends are great for keeping my bike stable when it's upside down for maintenance. They also come in handy for getting a bit of a tan on the insides of my arms when out riding. And being metal, they also make a nice cool alternative to my grips on days like today.

Top Bottom