bar ends 2 have or not have

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Egon Belmontie

Powered by Marmite.
A guy i used to ride with had a pair of these and he loved them, plenty of hand positions and good quality for the price.

But ive always found a decent set of grips and a comfy pair of gel gloves far better,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Profex-MTB-Bar-ends-Black/dp/B001B4S6KU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5

GilesM

Legendary Member
I, like the thread starter, could never make my mind up wether I liked having them or not. They would be fitted and removed several times a year. Missed them when I didnt have them, thought they were an ugly nuisance when I did have them. THEN ONE DAY, I was looking through some of the pictures of peoples bikes on this forum, and saw a couple of bikes with the bar ends mounted inboard of the brake and gear levers. I tried it out that same day and have never taken them off since. They just seem to make sense , being fitted in board, they dont get in the way or get caught on clothing or door frames, but they are there when you want them on longer rides. View attachment 25123

That's just wrong, I hope the fashion police take immediate action :stop:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I really like them. When I got a new mtb recently, initially I tried without them, but I just love the hand position roughly perpendicular to the handlebars (in this respect, I don't think handlebar width is a factor). However, I found the traditional bar ends a bit over the top; I never used the last part of them, so have exclusively used Profile Stubbies for many years now.

A downside? I'd agree with the fact they can snag branches -though in years and years of cycling in heavily wooded areas, I've found it happens surprizingly rarely (thinking about it now, I reckon in 10 years of riding, maybe it's happened 3 times). Obviously while it's 3 times more than without bar ends, it's worth it for me for the hand positions.

Concerning the fashion police, I laugh in the face of fashion. You get to a certain age in life where you get concerned with function rather than how something looks. Let's face it, some cycling gear can certainly be looked at as a fashion disaster. But if you do like the hand position that bar ends give but are concerned with how they look, take your choice. There aren't many fashion runways where I cycle anyway.

For full disclosure: I wear Crocs proudly and in full comfort :smile: so you can see what I think of "fashion".

trio25

Über Member
I was a yes for a long time and still will when racing and longer rides but having recently moved to the Peak District my riding has become more technical and I've caught them a lot more. Now they're off the bike. So I think it depends where you ride.

compo

Veteran
My bike, fitted with bar ends, recently developed a very annoying intermittent squeak. I lubed just about anything that moved but the squeak remained. A couple of days ago on a ride I moved my hand and noticed the squeak, again when I moved again. Turned out it was the side of my glove rubbing on the bar end and sqeaking when I was holding the handlebar grips. DOH! Different gloves, back to silence.

Longshot

rock_lobster_853_hardtail.jpg

WTF is that red and yellow thing sticking out from your handlebars? Doesn't it get in the way?!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
WTF is that red and yellow thing sticking out from your handlebars? Doesn't it get in the way?!
Ha ha. There are several kids' toys lying about in that little residential car park. The children just jump out wherever they want and leave them lying about, and their parents do not seem to bother with tidying up after them. Every now and then, somebody drives straight into one of the toys.

It is quite eye-opening to see the variation in driving standards on display. Skilled drivers can get in or out of the car park in one smooth attempt, but I have seen others take 6 or 7 stabs at it ... back a bit, left, no, right, forward, no, it should have been left, so left, hang on, back, left, I mean right, back, left, back a bit more, CRUNCH! (impact with wall, toy(s), or recycling bins).

It is funny to watch, but sobering to think that once they finally escape, they are let loose on public roads! :eek:

ChrisMc

I'd never have them after an old friend of mine went over his handle bars and one stuck in his stomach causing him to rupture his spleen. Going back 13 years ago when we where 18 and I've never had them since.

U

User6179

I'd never have them after an old friend of mine went over his handle bars and one stuck in his stomach causing him to rupture his spleen. Going back 13 years ago when we where 18 and I've never had them since.

You can get ones that are nearly L shaped that wont impale you if you were to land on them.

M1ke

Wouldn't be without my bar ends. You can really lean into the bike on a severe uphill.

Top Bottom