bar ends 2 have or not have

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JJ.

Regular
I've fitted a pair of short ones, it's nice to have a choice of grip position for me.

Brandane

Legendary Member

Ahhh; but you missed the bargain price.... They're reduced from £29.99 to £29.95 - you could save 4 pence. Form an orderly queue now!
Back on topic, I have them on my MTB but then I don't really use it for it's intended purpose so the bar is unlikely to get ripped out of my hand by the bar end getting caught on an overhanging tree or bush. They do help when climbing endless forestry tracks.

Motozulu

Über Member
Had em on the Cube, tried em for a bit and yes they were great for climbing but when I decided to make the bike more singletrack friendly with a shorter stem and wider risers they just did'nt go - so they went. :smile:

OP
OP
surfdude

surfdude

Veteran
just got the bike from the shop today & the bars are 2 inches wider than the old ones so will give her a few rides out and see how i get on with her .

Tango

I went through a stage of using bar ends, but eventually realised that it was because my hand grips were not really comfortable.

When I changed the hand grips, I stopped relying on the bar ends. And to be honest, I prefer the look of the bike without them.

With you 100% on this

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I always have them on all three of my bikes, on my mountain bike, my commuter and my Brompton. I find them useful for hills, a change of hand position, and for squeezing a bit more speed out.

I find them useful for hills, a change of hand position, and for squeezing a bit more speed out.
Pretty much this but I agree with LD, they look odd on riser bars. On the mtn bike, I'm on then up steep pulls and on the mtn bike with road tyres, for hunkering down a little bit more.

I'd say they look silly on a Brompton but Bromptons look silly anyhow ^_^

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Pretty much this but I agree with LD, they look odd on riser bars. On the mtn bike, I'm on then up steep pulls and on the mtn bike with road tyres, for hunkering down a little bit more.

I'd say they look silly on a Brompton but Bromptons look silly anyhow ^_^

I agree they look silly on Bromptons, and you can only fit stubbies, but I find they help a lot. They would probably look better on an S-type Brompton. I also agree that bar ends look odd on riser bars, but I have straight bars on my mountain bike. I suspect bar ends look odd on anything other that straight bars. I spent ages fitting different bar ends on my Ridgeback Genesis fast commuter and they all looked wrong. Eventually I worked out it was the slight sweep in the handlebars that did it.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I, like the thread starter, could never make my mind up wether I liked having them or not. They would be fitted and removed several times a year. Missed them when I didnt have them, thought they were an ugly nuisance when I did have them. THEN ONE DAY, I was looking through some of the pictures of peoples bikes on this forum, and saw a couple of bikes with the bar ends mounted inboard of the brake and gear levers. I tried it out that same day and have never taken them off since. They just seem to make sense , being fitted in board, they dont get in the way or get caught on clothing or door frames, but they are there when you want them on longer rides.
Picture 051.jpg

Top Bottom