Bar ends : Face inwards or outwards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

RSV_Ecosse said:
I'm still not sold on that rear crud catcher mudguard. I've no doubt it will do its job well but it just looks wrong. Looks totally out of proportion to the rest of the bike.:smile:

+3, Nice looking bike though, apart from that. :sad:

02GF74

Über Member
bloody hell, where do you live? looks nice.

bar ends do have disadvantage of acting as a hook to catch branches, tree trunks etc.

GilesM

Legendary Member
02GF74 said:
bloody hell, where do you live? looks nice.

Thanks, rural East Lothian, a beautiful place.

02GF74 said:
bar ends do have disadvantage of acting as a hook to catch branches, tree trunks etc.

They were once quite common on mtbs, but I think that was when narrower completely flat bars were the norm, since the move to wider riser bars, they have been less common. Maybe because the position on a modern mtb is much more upright (especially the full suss bikes), so the bar end does not seem to be such a natural way to hold the bars anymore, or just as you mention, bar ends can catch on things that they shouldn't. All I know is my first fully rigid mtb had bar ends and I used them alot, but neither of my two mtbs now have them, and I don't miss them, perhaps I'm just a fashion victim:biggrin:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
GilesM said:
Thanks, rural East Lothian, a beautiful place.

They were once quite common on mtbs, but I think that was when narrower completely flat bars were the norm, since the move to wider riser bars, they have been less common. Maybe because the position on a modern mtb is much more upright (especially the full suss bikes), so the bar end does not seem to be such a natural way to hold the bars anymore, or just as you mention, bar ends can catch on things that they shouldn't. All I know is my first fully rigid mtb had bar ends and I used them alot, but neither of my two mtbs now have them, and I don't miss them, perhaps I'm just a fashion victim:biggrin:

that looks like its out Elphinstone way? originally from East Lothian myself ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
thought that was looking towards Tranent :thumbsup: anyway I`m from Tranent originally then moved out Pencaitland way before ending up in the Kingdom ;)

I really miss having the rear crud catcher on mine, and my jacket/shirt misses it too, but I couldn't use it after I fitted the dropper post... I also do without bar ends, in fact I had to reduce the width of my bars as some of the trees on Cannock Chase are too close together! Agreed the bike looks great, but would look better with mud :-)

Top Bottom