Bar ends question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

That's the first time I've heard that advice concerning riser bars. I've used bar ends on riser bars for year! I had them on Easton riser bars on my last bike and they're on the stock riser bars on my current bike. I never had anyone say it wasn't safe.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mr Mag00 said:
not designed for the different stresses involved at the ends of the bars

urban myth spread by mtb fashionista's who think risers and bar ends look weird.

but what do I know I wear baggies over lycra on my tourer:becool:

Globalti

Legendary Member
When buying those very excellent Ergon grips, be aware that the big size feels odd if you've got small or medium sized hands. See if you can try the two sizes out before you buy. I ended up Ebaying my big ones and buying small instead.

Most MTBers think that bar ends on riser bars are a huge style error.

mr Mag00

rising member
grumpygreg, that information came from 3 major handlebar manufacturers actually nothing to do wiith style but all to do with handlebar design on the bits you cannot see

jay clock

Massive member
W
hat about these?
ergon-gc2-grips.jpg

Ergon GC2 grips with integrated bar ends. At a guess they will give you a comfy hand-position without overstressing the bars?
I have these on my Koga Miyata World Traveller, and to be honest they are not that comfy. The main reason is that they are designed to hold the hand flat on the fat bit of rubber and the bar end is just a bit of extra support. The wide flat rubber bit is great, but I have some more like this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=13134&src=froogle on another bike and I find them much better. I am thinking of getting some more for the KMWT with the BBB Ergogrips here http://www.dotbike.com/ProductsP3548.aspx?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=3&utm_campaign=DPL

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
these are my butterfly bars setup:-

by using that style of grip the heelpad works on the flats and at the bottom of the sides. I'm using the same grips for my flat bars with bar ends.

Mr Pig

I think these butterfly bars look like a great idea, I can see me going down that road one day.

As for fashion, you have got to be kidding! I want my bike to do what I want and be as comfortable as possible. I don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks of it. I pity those who are too image-conscious to use equipment that would make their lives easier.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mr Mag00 said:
grumpygreg, that information came from 3 major handlebar manufacturers actually nothing to do wiith style but all to do with handlebar design on the bits you cannot see

probably the same manufacturers who put lawyer tabs on their forks to avoid law suits. I can remember when some flat bar vendors made such ultralight XC bars the recommended you didn't put bar ends on them either.

Plently of carbon riser bar makers these days say bar ends are fine, Salsa and FSA for two of the top of my head.

Top Bottom