bar ends

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewc65

I have a specalized sirrus. Would I benefit from fitting bar ends on it as the elite version comes standard with them. Does anyone find they help when climbing hills.? Also do they just clamp on to my standard bars ? Many thanks for any help.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I love them on my Rapid 4- I literally live on them for climbing/ flat roads/ good visibility descents (as you cant control the brakes). I feel lost when I get on my pub bike which hasn't got them. Highly recommend them.
Can't help on attaching though, mine came with them.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm a relatively recent convert to bar ends and wish I'd bought some years ago. They have made a a big difference for me, not just with climbing but on those fast flat sections where you can stretch out a bit, similar to riding on the hoods of a racing bike.

If I was to replace my current ones I think these are the ones I'd get.

Assuming that you have standard size bars, they will just clamp on. Depending on what grips you currently have, it might be necessary to cut the ends off to allow the bar ends to fit (or change to grips designed for bar ends - example) and you might have to adjust the position of the brake levers/gear shifters inboard slightly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I like them very much on my flat bar tourer. More control and hand positions, as well as leverage. Also extends me out a bit more, as my flat bar tourer is an old hybrid converted for the purpose, and the frame is a bit small for compactness. Easier to travel with.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have Tree Hooks on my Town & Tesco bike, but not on my two MTB's as I find that they are dodgy when riding through woodland trails. They do help with climbing though as you can get more leverage.
Mine just clamp on with a few turns of an Allen Key.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Never had bar ends myself
Comment ignored.

postman

Legendary Member
I got some bar ends from Evans,then i had an idea for butterfly bars this was for my Giant Rincon only use it for tow path rides.And in winter for shortish road rides.Butterfly are brill so many hand positions.

OP
OP
drewc65

drewc65

Yet again I can only say thanks will look at the butterfly bars. Got to take bike in for service next week to Evans so will defo sort out some then.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As they are a relatively inexpensive addition to your bike the best thing to do would be to try them out. It's the only way you can be really sure whether or not they are for you. I've tried them and they do provide a change of position that can be a relief for a while bit I haven't found them to be a must have.

Top Bottom