Bar grips for twist shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a colleague with a problem. He gets numb hands when riding. He's got proper gloves and I've suggested that he gets some Specialized BG grips. Trouble is, he has twist grip shifters and the BGs are too long. I would cut them down but they are a lot too long and the cut would be on the extended piece. I could move the twistgrips for him but that would also move the brake levers away from his hand.

Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Chuffy

Take a look @ his riding position, I suspect his numbhandedness isnt just down to his grips.

As for the issue of cutting the grips or moving the shifters, your best option is a bit of both.

A set of bar-ends might help reduce his numbness by allowing him to vary his hand position over the course of a ride. Not sure if the BG grip is compatible with bar-ends mind.

Slim

Über Member
Apparently Ergon do grips with mini bar-ends that are Grip shift compatible.

FWIW - I've got the standard Ergon grips (I think they are now called GC2) and they are a lot easier on the hands once you've got the correct angle so your wrists aren't strained.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Slim said:
Apparently Ergon do grips with mini bar-ends that are Grip shift compatible.

FWIW - I've got the standard Ergon grips (I think they are now called GC2) and they are a lot easier on the hands once you've got the correct angle so your wrists aren't strained.
The Ergons look fab but he's pretty skint and they are quite pricey.

Might have to go down the half and half route as Mickel suggests. Don't know about his position, I'm not very good at stuff like that.
Thanks both.
Chuffy

frog

My Raven Tour came with cork ones, the twist grip side is shorter.

Like these

In the picture they both look the same length so he might want to e-mail them to confirm one is shorter than the other.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Grips per se aren't a problem. I could get him a pair and trim them, no problem. Thing is, I reckon that for his problem the ones with a bit of palm/heel support would be ideal, eg the BG grips or the Ergon grips. It's that kind that I'm after, only in a twistshift friendly flavour.

Reckon tis more to do with angle and position of bars mesen.

kyuss

Veteran
Chuffy said:
Grips per se aren't a problem. I could get him a pair and trim them, no problem. Thing is, I reckon that for his problem the ones with a bit of palm/heel support would be ideal, eg the BG grips or the Ergon grips. It's that kind that I'm after, only in a twistshift friendly flavour.

How about these. Dirt cheap as well.

kyuss

Veteran
Just noticed that those ones come with one grip longer than the other. You could get these instead. They look they might be more suitable for cutting down than the BG grips.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Kyuss, you star! They look perfect, cheers.

Mickle - you may well be right about his position and setup but I wouldn't know where to start. I'm a complete barbarian about my own setup, so I couldn't advise someone else. I'll suggest that he goes to a bike shop though and has a word with them.

Thanks all,
Chuffy

Top Bottom