Bar Tape......a couple of basic questions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I used cloth tape, I always finished at the bar ends and were just tucked in and kept there with the bar end plus.
Now with cork tape, I find it too thick to tuck in, so I finish at the top and use elec tape, the same colour as the cork tape if possible or black.

Much neater to finish without having to use sticky tape by tucking in at the bar ends. But the illusion of neatness doesn't last long if you do that with modern fat bar tape.

Fat tape gets rubbed up the wrong way and gets all scruffy quite quickly if you finish it at the bar ends, which thin cloth tape doesn't/didn't.

So electrical tape it is, to finish off at the stem ends.

I use gorilla tape. It’s pretty good stuff.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I see the 'professionals' taper the cut at the ends near the stem for a neat finish, but I just square cut it to finish under the bar where it isn't seen and stick a few wraps of lecky tape to finish off.
I specifically sought out brown lecky tape this time to go with the new leather bar tape. Mmmmm delicious.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Now there's a coincidence ... On my way home from this evening's ride I noticed that the bar tape on the left side of the handlebar was coming loose so I have just rewound it and finished it off with (drum roll) electricians' tape!

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I see the 'professionals' taper the cut at the ends near the stem for a neat finish, but I just square cut it to finish under the bar where it isn't seen and stick a few wraps of lecky tape to finish off.
I specifically sought out brown lecky tape this time to go with the new leather bar tape. Mmmmm delicious.
That's one advantage electrical tape has - it comes in so many colours. I have about six different ones (including brown!) :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
.....so if you're feeling creative you can use different colours....

20190529_054901.jpg

I always start at the plug end.

Top Bottom