Bar width, cross top levers and stem length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
So, after much deliberation, and riding the bike a few more times, I'm wondering if giving up my drop bars is a bit premature. (I don't actually think I would miss them, but a drop to flat bar conversion is quite a big job.)

So, my latest thought (given my preference for riding on the tops now) is to get cross top levers to give me an extra braking position. I also think I need wider bars because I tend to scrunch my hands as far out as possible when I'm on the tops, and I think I'd be comfortable with my hands further apart on the hoods. I'd also like to reduce the reach just a little bit, not because it's too long for a road bike, but because I'm finding I'm more comfortable a bit more sat up.

My current stem is 75mm, which I know is already very short. I'm looking at going down to 60mm, which will mean getting a MTB stem. Am I likely to encounter any compatibility issues with that?

My current bars are 380mm wide, reach is about 75mm and drop about 125mm, so they're narrow and very compact. They're also what I think you'd describe as "ergo". After the flat section, they come back very sharply before flattening out. They look rather like these in profile, but the reach is shorter. I'm thinking of going up to 420mm wide, but keeping the reach, drop and profile the same if I can. Also, I think the tops will need to be round rather than shaped for comfort, so the cross levers will fit. Any recommendations?

Does anyone use cross top levers? How effective are they?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've got cross top levers on my touring bike and I find them very good as it gives you a different position to ride it they are also good in heavy traffic riding on the top of the bars.
As for the bars I put my hand out in front of me in a nice comfortable postion and thats the size I bought, hope this helps

BSRU

A Human Being
I have cross top levers on my main commuter, do not like them, they just get in the way so I will be removing them when I change the bars. The current bars are standard drops I want/need compact drops to bring the hoods closer to me.
The width of bars should be the same as your shoulder width.

rh100

I've got cross levers on mine, with some nitto noodle bars, which have a slight set back so the tops come back towards you on top before turning towards the drops http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/hb1.htm has some info but they are available over here. Also randonneur style bars do the same thing but with more flared sides, i have a pair of these also but that bikes not built yet, only issue there is that the tops are narrower to allow for the flared drops. Might be worth asking in touring section, as there is lots of experience there in getting a comfy more upright setup.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I use crosstop levers on On-One Midge bars, and quite like them.
The bars are quite wide so there's plenty of room, and the drop section is quite small and flared outwards.

One thing to watch for is that crosstop levers are available in several clamp sizes.
If you get a size aimed at the central bulge (same clamp size as the stem), you'll have to mount the crosstop levers narrow. If you get a model that uses a bar size clamp (same as regular brake levers), you can mount the levers a bit further apart for better control when braking from the bar tops.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I started with two then went to one, front brake only, and now have none. Main reason I have none is that I went away from drops and then back and sold the crosstops as part of a bundle. I decide to give it a go without instead of buying a pair just to get one. So far it's ok, I tend to only be on the flats going uphill or when very open and casual, so times that I have plenty of time to move a hand to brake. The new bars are also much comfier on the hoods, I've also gone wider and used a shorter stem. Plus the sides of my drops, and my hoods, are angled in a bit so my hands aren't parallel. These are the bars Salsa Cowbells in 46cm:-

1313-aee2dd6bc54dceeb9059a489dca10bb1.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I love my cross tops when riding in traffic and/or in a group. My muscle memory is all flat bar based I guess.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that most people who have used them liked them. That suggests I'm on the right track.

One thing to watch for is that crosstop levers are available in several clamp sizes.
If you get a size aimed at the central bulge (same clamp size as the stem), you'll have to mount the crosstop levers narrow. If you get a model that uses a bar size clamp (same as regular brake levers), you can mount the levers a bit further apart for better control when braking from the bar tops.

Thanks for that very useful bit of information. I probably wouldn't have noticed the different sizes, and I want to have them as wide apart as I can.

The new bars are also much comfier on the hoods, I've also gone wider and used a shorter stem. Plus the sides of my drops, and my hoods, are angled in a bit so my hands aren't parallel. These are the bars Salsa Cowbells in 46cm

Do you know what width you were using before you went to the Cowbells? I've looked at Salsa's website, and they look really nice. I was a little bit concerned about going 4cm wider, but with the angle on the hoods, I think it must be natural to have your elbows slightly out and your hands further apart. That's what I'm finding difficult about my drop bars at the moment. I've got used to having my elbows away from my body on the MTB, and it feels like a much more natural and comfortable position than having my arms straight out in front of me. (Having argued the opposite point to this quite extensively in the hybrid to drop bar thread in beginners, I think I may have to admit I was wrong!)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
The bars before were 44cm but the Cowbells at 46cm don't feel like 2cm difference it seems more. Partly due to the elbows out style, required for me due to elbow surgery. But also because they have a wide top/flat part, or at least noticeably wider than my previous bars. I also went from a 130mm stem to 110mm, though rise difference makes it more like a 15mm variance than 20mm. As a plus I find the drops easier/comfier from the shorter and wider perspective.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
The bars before were 44cm but the Cowbells at 46cm don't feel like 2cm difference it seems more. Partly due to the elbows out style, required for me due to elbow surgery. But also because they have a wide top/flat part, or at least noticeably wider than my previous bars. I also went from a 130mm stem to 110mm, though rise difference makes it more like a 15mm variance than 20mm. As a plus I find the drops easier/comfier from the shorter and wider perspective.

I may go for 40cm then, if the difference is that noticeable. I was kind of wavering between the two.

I've been out on the bike for 3 hours this morning, and I'm getting more of a feel for what I want. The bar width isn't actually too bad now I've got used to it being a lot more twitchy than the MTB, although I could do with getting my hands out and back a bit further on the tops, but I am concerned about being able to fit all my stuff on the bars and still have somewhere to put my hands. To start with I'm just going to get cross levers to put on the tops, but when I come to replace the STI levers (which is waiting until I get the insurance money from the old bike) I think I'll go for separate brake levers and bar top shifters, so I'll need space for those as well. I was probably 50% tops, 40% hoods and 10% drops today, and I would have been on the tops more if I could have reached the brakes from there.

I also noticed I was sitting right up and just resting my fingers on the tops when I was getting tired today, which is fine on quiet, open roads, but not particularly safe otherwise, so I'll definitely need the shorter stem. Unless I can find something with a pretty sharp rise on it, I may need to go a bit shorter than I originally thought.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think I'll go for separate brake levers and bar top shifters, so I'll need space for those as well. I was probably 50% tops, 40% hoods and 10% drops today, and I would have been on the tops more if I could have reached the brakes from there.

I also noticed I was sitting right up and just resting my fingers on the tops when I was getting tired today, which is fine on quiet, open roads, but not particularly safe otherwise, so I'll definitely need the shorter stem. Unless I can find something with a pretty sharp rise on it, I may need to go a bit shorter than I originally thought.

It is not hard to find stems with a pretty sharp (or indeed variable) rise. It is however not so easy to find quality bar top shifters that fit drop bars.

Even ignoring bars with sculpted platforms above the bends the vast majority of flat bar shifters are for 22.2mm diameter bars and are of no use for the vast majority of road/drop/other bars (23.8mm at the grip area). Unless you don't care about indexing to 8/9/10 speed, I have a funny feeling (and am happy to be proved wrong) that the choice for such shifters might just be Paul's thumbies (in conjunction with Shimano bar end shifters, sjs has them). However they are sized for the middle bit where the stem clamps on, and with only 2 choices - Italian (26.0mm) and OS (31.8mm). It is therefore probably worthwhile picking stem and bars now with shifters and their precise desired location in mind. The other thing is not everybody like thumb shifters. If you don't you might need to re-evaluate your plan.

With drop bar brifters out of consideration, if you are also happy to forgo drops altogether cowhorn/TT bars could be considered. It is kind of like flat bars with bar ends but with the advantage of having brakes on them bar ends. It is also easier to find nice TT brake levers than drop bar brake levers nowadays.

A384-4.jpg

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Even ignoring bars with sculpted platforms above the bends the vast majority of flat bar shifters are for 22.2mm diameter bars and are of no use for the vast majority of road/drop/other bars (23.8mm at the grip area)

Urgh! I hadn't thought about that. Maybe I should just go back to plan A (whatever that was - I can't remember now).

Top Bottom