Barclays Cycle Hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Bromptonaut said:
I cannot even find that infomation; all that's on the TfL webpage is a general map of the scheme area.

Perhaps I should repost what I posted a few messages up.

I picked up a (very good) map of all of the locations at Aldgate* tube station. It's printed on TFL's leaflet about the new scheme.

*Which probably means it's available elsewhere.

[edit: and if you insist on not walking or riding to your nearest tube station there will be an electronic feed in due course:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/businessandpartners/syndication/example-feeds.aspx#cyclehirestations]

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
srw said:
Perhaps I should repost what I posted a few messages up.

I picked up a (very good) map of all of the locations at Aldgate* tube station. It's printed on TFL's leaflet about the new scheme.

*Which probably means it's available elsewhere.

Perhaps I'll take a walk to the nearest tube station over lunch. But if there's a leaflet it should be on the website.

srw

Or you could google "TFL cycle hire map". There are a couple of promising links on page 1.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
marinyork said:
Good work. Let us know if someone plots all the docking stations or draws a decent map of them.
http://cyclehireapp.com/locations.html

zimzum42 said:
One problem is that sometimes you get to the station you want to dock at and there are no free spaces. I found this in Vienna and had to wait around for someone else to take a bike out...

Fine if you're a tourist and just pootling around, not so good if the station outside your office is full.

But then I don't think this scheme is intended for London's office workers...
The screens at the station will tell you where the nearest free space is. And top up the free time on the bike to allow you to get there.
Whilst i agree it would be a pain to go and find another one, but in the long run, most of them are in close proximity.

gaz said:
http://cyclehireapp.com/locations.html

The screens at the station will tell you where the nearest free space is. And top up the free time on the bike to allow you to get there.
Whilst i agree it would be a pain to go and find another one, but in the long run, most of them are in close proximity.

My my, Boris Johnson is useless. What on earth was he thinking rolling out this scheme and not even bothering to create a map of locations. It's ridiculous someone has had to resort to an FoI request to find them out.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Perhaps they were going officially to release all the locations when the thing actually started...

Anyway, i remember looking it up a few months back and finding it without much difficulty...

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Riverman said:
My my, Boris Johnson is useless. What on earth was he thinking rolling out this scheme and not even bothering to create a map of locations. It's ridiculous someone has had to resort to an FoI request to find them out.

There is a map but you have to go into a tube station to find it!!!

srw

Riverman said:

*THUD*
(Sound of head hitting desk).

Does no-one read anything in a thread? I have now posted twice that I have in my possession a map of all of the hire stations.

That FoI request was ridiculous, and the sort of thing that gives information freedom a bad name.

It was information that is currently of no conceivable use to anyone. There are no hire stations, and will be no hire stations until 30 July. It is information which TFL have publicly committed to making freely available when it's relevant, and have actively encouraged developers to develop apps that make use of it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
srw said:
Does no-one read anything in a thread? I have now posted twice that I have in my possession a map of all of the hire stations.

*Thud* right back at you. Get with the 21st century, we're interested in digital and on-line mapping not silly paper copies. It's a bit on the early side but if paper copies are knocking about there so should on-line ones. I don't want a great scheme hiding away in the shadows. There should be an on-line map, it should be in a very obvious place and it should be up as soon as possible (preferably already).

zimzum42

Legendary Member
There is still a month to go, and nowhere near all of the stations are ready. If they put the map up now you would probably be complaining that you can't see your local docking station

chillax dude...

srw

marinyork said:
*Thud* right back at you. Get with the 21st century, we're interested in digital and on-line mapping not silly paper copies.

What are you going to do with it? Now. On the 2nd of July.

(Seriously)

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
srw said:
What are you going to do with it? Now. On the 2nd of July.

(Seriously)

THUD THUD and THUD again- Same as everyone else in this thread; so as to know on advance how much use the scheme will be. Or just because we're curious.

And I don't know about others but I was looking for an electronic copy. Putting them in tube stations is great but they're are not places I choose to go, nor are they the first place I'd think to look - that's what the website's there for!!!!

srw

FoI requests are not for curiosity, I'm afraid. I was impressed there was a map published at all at this early stage.

If you're that bothered, pop down to Hyde Park, where there's a roadshow. You can complain in person. Or give TFL a ring and ask why they haven't put the map on their website yet.

Top Bottom