Barclays Cycle Hire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
srw said:
FoI requests are not for curiosity, I'm afraid. I was impressed there was a map published at all at this early stage.

If you're that bothered, pop down to Hyde Park, where there's a roadshow. You can complain in person. Or give TFL a ring and ask why they haven't put the map on their website yet.

FoI requests are for whatever you want them to be. They should however be about information not, like most on 'What do They Know.com', seeking justification for policy.

I might just ask TfL politley why the map is not on the website. OTOH (and hence the reason to ask here) somebody else might have 'found' it - website designers often struggle to make the wanted accessible!!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
srw said:
What are you going to do with it? Now. On the 2nd of July.

(Seriously)

Show it to someone who might use the scheme. It takes weeks of persuasion to get someone on a bike, they have to feel comfortable and well versed in the scheme before they give it a go.

If there's no maps they can get their mitts on very easily the excuse mill will be working overtime and they'll say oh I tried to get hold of some information about it and had a quick look around (30 seconds) and couldn't see any docking stations. So I'll wait a few weeks whilst the information is there, by which time it'll be september and they'll complain about it being too cold and giving it a go next spring!

P.S. I live scores of miles away from London and the person I'm trying to get a test ride in Hyde Park on the scheme doesn't venture into central London incredibly often. Paper copies really are of limited use.

joolsybools

Ok, I have a map which was picked up at West End Live a few weeks ago. Fire away with any questons.

Unfortunately the docking stations do not cover my whole commute but I would only use the scheme with a hangover/technical glitch (i.e. I can't ride today) or random 'errant' routes as I have a couple of commuting bikes.

What do others think about getting the annual memberhip? I am considering it...aparently you get extra members for the price

marinyork

Additional cardholders would be good, would that not be unlikely though? Thanks for the offer of the information although like I said what I'm really after is a on-line one (got it via that other site) so I can get someone to look at it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
marinyork said:
Additional cardholders would be good, would that not be unlikely though? Thanks for the offer of the information although like I said what I'm really after is a on-line one (got it via that other site) so I can get someone to look at it.

You get up to three additional keyholders per member, according to the leaflet that those of us with inside knowledge have picked up in the real world. It's the only way 14-18-year-olds can use the scheme.

To be honest, my best guess is that the leaflet's been put out a few days early, and there will be an "official" launch, including the full version of the website, imminently.

marinyork

So what is that saying, one membership can use 3 or 4 keys on it, so children don't have to have separate membership or any 3 or 4 people even another adult in the family or what?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
That's my reading of it - 3 or 4 keys per membership. There's a note somewhere that says that under-18s can't be members or use the bikes without memberships (presumably because they can't have credit cards), so that form of membership is the only way for 14-18-year-olds to use the bikes.

Sounds reasonable to me.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I got some information from tfl regarding the scheme. Not 100% sure what is in it yet.
When you have the contacts, you can get what you need with an e-mail :ohmy:

marinyork

srw said:
That's my reading of it - 3 or 4 keys per membership. There's a note somewhere that says that under-18s can't be members or use the bikes without memberships (presumably because they can't have credit cards), so that form of membership is the only way for 14-18-year-olds to use the bikes.

Sounds reasonable to me.

An added bonus. I suppose it goes some way to explaining why the yearly membership was a bit higher than people were hoping.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
srw said:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Debit cards are available from age 11 (and presumably anyone can use a prepaid card). But there may be a problem with the online 'credit check' used by Electron and similar no overdraft cards.

Origamist

Legendary Member
gaz said:
They have some nice footage on there, but for some reason they keep deleting the videos and re-upping them :becool:

Is it connected to the recent Barclays branding?

Top Bottom