Barcodes or Microwave

Which changed our lives more Barcode or the Microwave

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What's QR. Is Stephen Fry involved?

My micro broke down recently. The look on son1's face when I told him he to heat his lunch on the stove was priceless. Mind you it was better a week later when he was still using the stove and I told him the micro had been fixed for two days (it hadn't but hey)

Qr is not taking off. We're a printing company. We offer and even push the benefits of qr on bcards, literature etc. most never heard of it and virtually zero take up despite showing what it can do.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

I had a chat with a Scottish medical technologist who told me that since the introduction of barcodes, the error rate has dropped dramatically, productivity increased many folds and he could not imagine a lab world without barcodes. He told me that having done a stint in a third world country and dealing in environment without one he appreciated the value of barcode. Until that conversation, I had no idea about barcode being used in the medical arena.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

[QUOTE 3564343, member: 259"]I now do most of my shopping at a supermarket that uses QR codes - I scan them using the phone camera and pay using a phone app, so I don't even need to go near a till or a real person. It sends me a receipt by email.

But sometimes I do say hello to the bloke on the fish counter.[/QUOTE]

This will be the world of the future. And it is quite encouraging.

Our library have the clever chips where you can put 7 books in the shelf and it lists them all. That would save a huge amount of resources in supermarkets if you can, say, just push your trolley into a booth and it gives you the final price. Weighing items would be the only flaw but I'm sure it can be worked around.

gavintc

Guru
I've no idea what direct benefit a barcode is to me. It helps warehouses, stock control, and that kind of thing but it's hard to know how much of the benefits come through to the consumer. A microwave cooker is of direct use to me.
Not a logistician. Barcodes have been essential for the accurate movement of goods.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not a logistician. Barcodes have been essential for the accurate movement of goods.

Only when the software works.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Our library have the clever chips where you can put 7 books in the shelf and it lists them all. That would save a huge amount of resources in supermarkets if you can, say, just push your trolley into a booth and it gives you the final price. Weighing items would be the only flaw but I'm sure it can be worked around.

There's the cost of the tags. In a library they are stick on once use many times. In a supermarket they are single use only. Once out of the the shop they never return.

tyred

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3564343, member: 259"]I now do most of my shopping at a supermarket that uses QR codes - I scan them using the phone camera and pay using a phone app, so I don't even need to go near a till or a real person. It sends me a receipt by email.

But sometimes I do say hello to the bloke on the fish counter.[/QUOTE]

I prefer to be served by a real human.

The only thing I miss about stopping smoking is that I no longer have a reason to visit the tobacco counter of the local Tesco's and flirt with the lovely girl who usually works there:wub:

There's the cost of the tags. In a library they are stick on once use many times. In a supermarket they are single use only. Once out of the the shop they never return.
I get that but economy of scale coupled with the staffing costs of checkouts I reckon could end up being a significant saving.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Is that microwaves as in the compact fast-cooking things or microwaves as in the radio waves used by mobile phones? If it's the latter I'll go with microwaves.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Qr is not taking off. We're a printing company. We offer and even push the benefits of qr on bcards, literature etc. most never heard of it and virtually zero take up despite showing what it can do.
We're a printing company too and our biggest UK customer is about to start incorporating them on their products. I guess it depends on the application.

Top Bottom