Barriers at work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Yes, that old chestnut...We got this from HQ:

Concerning the request to cyclists to dismount as they pass through the barriers, this is a Health & Safety issue, which must be obeyed.

I'm tempted to call their bluff and say that other vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists, mopeds and drivers of open-top vehicles should not be allowed to enter via the barrier for the same - as yet - unknown health risk (presumably, being clobbered on the head by the descending barrier).

Part of me says go for it. Part of me says why bother?
Waddayareckon?

I'd ask to see the risk assessment and take it from there.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Maz said:
Yes, that old chestnut...We got this from HQ:

Concerning the request to cyclists to dismount as they pass through the barriers, this is a Health & Safety issue, which must be obeyed.

I'm tempted to call their bluff and say that other vulnerable road users such as motorcyclists, mopeds and drivers of open-top vehicles should not be allowed to enter via the barrier for the same - as yet - unknown health risk (presumably, being clobbered on the head by the descending barrier).

Part of me says go for it. Part of me says why bother?
Waddayareckon?

If it was me I would go for it. If the barrier is such a risk then surely it is unsuitable for the job.

jely

i say do whatever you feel comfortable with... of course only if you're not hurting anyone else.

... although, and please excuse my ignorance, but i do have to admit i'm not sure what this barrier is... are you talking about the red/white arm that goes up and down??

Brains

Legendary Member
You don't happen to work for Barclay's Bank in Canary Wharf do you ?

A mate of mine was clobbered on the head as he cycled through the barrier to the underground car park a couple of years ago. Luckily he was wearing a helmet, but still ended up with broken glasses, a cut head and a few other grazes.

The problem is that many of the barriers whilst sensitive enough to open when a (metal) bike comes through, are not sensitive to know when it's passed, and they are designed for cars not bikes (which considering about 25% of the traffic in Barclay's are bikes is a bit of an oversight)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I used to get this. The security guy left and the new one doesn't mind. Don't think it was official policy, the previous guy just didn't like me much.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Just go for it...whats stopping you (apart from the security guy, thats if you have one). On one part of the forth road bridge there is a sign saying "cyclists dismount" only for about 50 yards or so. I just ignore it as i am going at a safe and steady pace and the railing is high enough.

Health and safety my a**e!

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Brains said:
The problem is that many of the barriers whilst sensitive enough to open when a (metal) bike comes through, are not sensitive to know when it's passed, and they are designed for cars not bikes (which considering about 25% of the traffic in Barclay's are bikes is a bit of an oversight)
The barriers at work are manually operated - security fella presses a button to raise the barrier, so nothing to do with metal detection in my case.

Plax

Guru
Maz said:
The barriers at work are manually operated - security fella presses a button to raise the barrier, so nothing to do with metal detection in my case.

Kind of the same where I work. The barriers are actually automatic on the way out, but apparently I'm not fat enough to trigger it (not sure if that's true, but that's what the H&S Officer here told me! I suspect it is more to do with the amount of metal, but hey ho.). The security guard always manually opens it for me or I tailgate a car out.

Deffo ask to see the risk assessment. If the security guard opens it for you, what risk is there? If it was automatic then they'd have more of a case. Tell them you feel discriminated against and surely if you have to dismount then so should motorbikers - after all they'll be going faster and thus cause more damage if they get knocked off.

mikeitup

Veteran
Re

Ask to see the risk assessment.
Are you in a Trade Union? (if not JOIN)
Have a word with your steward or even your Union H&S rep.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Brains said:
A mate of mine was clobbered on the head as he cycled through the barrier to the underground car park a couple of years ago. Luckily he was wearing a helmet, but still ended up with broken glasses, a cut head and a few other grazes.

MM M MM Max Headroom!!!

Top Bottom