base layer for summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Not for me, you understand. I am a chap, and chaps wear vests. But the Babe believes that sweaty vests are not nice and wants something that preserves the fragrance she was born with (which bears an uncanny likeness to Jo Malone 154). So - I could do with some advice.

Hugo15

Über Member
Merino wool one from Icebreaker. I got an Atlas 150 and have been very pleased with it.

http://www.icebreaker.com/site/index.html

peanut

I think some of the modern synthetics take a lot of beating. They breathe well and are very light don't hold bacteria. I bought a very nice long sleeve base layer some time back from Ron Hill as I recall .
Of course there is always silk :smile:

Bigtwin

Base layer? WTF?

I haven't worn a base layer since about the start of May. What the hell are you people wearing as jerseys - bin bags?

I'm commuting, so not actually wearing a 'base' layer but need a top to cycle in. I tried my cotton t-shirts (which are absolutely great for normal wear) but I come out in a light 'glow' which means they get damp which is not great.

I then bought a synthetic thing (not cycling specific, but should have worked). Colours great, promises wicking etc, which it did - unfortunately it also made me a teeny bit smelly :birthday: (which I'm not normally, but wearing *some* synthetic clothes does make me smelly), which then got wicked all over the shirt. Net result, I could have used it as a biological weapon. :birthday: The entire thing smelt.

After that I decided to try the merino thing after reading some glowing reviews. I am glad to report that I can wear the merino top all week (10 miles each way) and so far no smell problems. It's also been washed once in the machine - on a wool cycle but not using special wool detergent (but I normally use mild non-bio detergent anyway) and survived unharmed & unshrunk.

However, if you do get the 'base layer' or 'summer' merino styles, the weight of the fabric is similar to lightweight cotton jersey so the wind does cut right through it. Hence better as a base layer in the wind rather than an only layer....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Merino, merino, merino. I've got a couple of Icebreakers but I'm a more of a Howies woman (which is to say, a sucker for their fiendishly clever marketing). The NBL Light is the light base layer, but unfortunately it's sold out. I'd be surprised if it didn't return with the next season's collection, though, which should appear soon. The NBL is a must-have, but for the other three seasons. They've also got some things called Lacewing, which look fairly light, with a less sporty look and a scoop neckline, but the colours are uninspiring. http://www.howies.co.uk/section.php/31/0.

Why uncomfortable? Expecting it to be too thick or hot?
It's actually very fine. I'd say no thicker than a thin cotton t-shirt (the cotton t-shirts I like wearing are far thicker, but no good for cycling in unfortunately!).

It feels a teeny bit scratchier than cotton when you first put it on (or perhaps that's just my supersoft sensitive skin...!) but it doesn't actually bother me at all when I'm wearing it.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
If anyone sees a thin base layer with a long zip.. note long zip ... let us know on here.
I know the Icebreaker do a 1/4 zip version. The lighter one is ideal for UK 'summer' into Autumn.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
I'm puzzled - I'd have thought merino would be uncomfortable in summer.........

I don't often say this, Dellzeqq, but you couldn't be more wrong. I wouldn't dream of doing the FNRttC without it - it comes just above pre-talced tubes on the priority list.

Top Bottom