Batch Cooking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Does anyone do any batching cooking through winter and freeze them up for quick easy meals??

if so what's your favourites?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Does anyone do any batching cooking through winter and freeze them up for quick easy meals??

if so what's your favourites?
We are a busy family with people going to different places at different times, so do a lot of batch cooking. We have a freezer full of chilli, lasagne, bolognese, macaroni, lamb koftas and curries all ready to heat up. At the moment there is probably over a hundred meals in there ready to add some pasta, rice or breads for a meal.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

We are a busy family with people going to different places at different times, so do a lot of batch cooking. We have a freezer full of chilli, lasagne, bolognese, macaroni, lamb koftas and curries all ready to heat up. At the moment there is probably over a hundred meals in there ready to add some pasta, rice or breads for a meal.
that takes some cooking milky, i like it........as i work form home now, i got lots more time, so i have started doing the same.

smaller scale than yourself as there is only two of us, so only a few curries and bolognese at the moment

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The only one we really batch cook is Lasagna. As we make enough for a large dish and divide up into 6 portions.
As there is only two of us we don't really need to go down the batch route.

winjim

Smash the cistern
This week was Lamb Tagine on Mon, spag bol on Tues, fish pie last night, mango and coconut chicken tonight, I'll probably grab a bolognese out tonight to make a lasagne for tomorrow, need to make and freeze some more sauce for Saturday pizza and film night, then roast dinner on Sunday using the parboiled spuds and parsnips I've got prepped and frozen.

Plus there's a few curries in there and stuff like homemade cookie bars for the kids, spare milk, pie fillings, some buttercream icing in case we fancy knocking up a cake, ingredients like herbs, chillis, ginger, lemongrass etc

Two kids and two working parents so we need stuff we can just grab. I usually cook in the early hours 1-3am after my post-putting the kids to bed snooze. Got a slow/pressure cooker and it's great, even pot roast chickens in it for Sunday dinner.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

We also got a breadmaker and we wouldn't be without it.
i did go the bread maker route many years ago......but it wasnt for me in the end. A lot of people seem to get on well with them though

how many you make a week or is it as and when needed?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Mince pies, apple pies, meat pies, currys, cottage pies and shepherd's pies
not a mince pie fan........but all them other pies sound good to me.

Do you make big plate pies @numbnuts or single pies???

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
There are only 3 of us living in our house now but previously we had 7 of us. So we find it really difficult to make meals for just 3, so in effect we are batch cooking. Our freezer tends to fill up with curries, chillies etc.

winjim

Smash the cistern
i did go the bread maker route many years ago......but it wasnt for me in the end. A lot of people seem to get on well with them though

how many you make a week or is it as and when needed?
Two or three times a week I reckon but it depends mainly on if the kids are eating loads of sandwiches. But we use it for the dough for pizza night as well which makes it dead easy.

Dave7

Legendary Member
How do you mark them so as to know what is in the container.......without using indelible ink ?

Top Bottom