Bathroom light fluorescent to LED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My circular bathroom ceilling lamp takes GR10q flat fluorescent tubes. They fit into a 4 pin ballast that conditions the electrical supply.
The last time I replaced a tube, the new one did not work. Multimeter suggests that the tube is good but the ballast is no good. I cannot find a replacement ballast.

Everyone recommends switching to LED but throwing out the nice looking old light fitting and buying an expensive new one.

Can I convert a light fitting from fluoresent, requiring a unicorn ballast, to some kind of LED system that can be wired directly to the mains, just like a normal light fitting.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might be possible to convert it but with new light fittings so cheap it's hardly worth the faff.
Got a pic of your fitting?

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I suspect it's a lot of trouble unless you know what you are doing and know the correct parts.
iIRC, when a florescent strip light on the top of our kitchen cupboards went faulty, I looked at changing the fitting to an led. It was cheaper and more certain to bin the whole light and get an led.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I presume there's a cover. You might be able to find something to fit inside if you want to retain that look but just cheaper and easier to change the entire thing, plus you'll get a nicer light rather than the rather dead cold light you get from a fluorescent.

Daninplymouth

Fittings are so cheap these days it’s never worth the effort of replacing a ballast or lamp. A decent retrofit led lamp isn’t much cheaper

Top Bottom