bats about cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnnaNanna

Regular
Ello all

Blokey and I are thinking about adopting a cat. I live in a flat, but ground floor with front and rear door access.

We've been looking at costs etc. And it seems that there's no reason we couldn't get one. Can anyone advise us? Maybe about costs, both annually and weekly/monthly, any issues, where best to get one, etc etc

Any help would be good. Thanks people!

OP
OP
A

AnnaNanna

Regular
Thanks! Will think about bird protection as part of the plan

alicat

Legendary Member
How near are you to a main road? Cats can meet a sticky end if their roaming route has too much traffic on it.

Lullabelle

Banana
Do make sure your cat is neutered to stop more unwanted, hard to re home cats being brought into this world. Our vet was doing a deal, our cat had all jabs and was spayed, the microchip was fitted for free. I think a lot of surgery's are doing something similar, just ask your local.

Cats are cheap, a few toys and food that is pretty much it. Not much point buying a fancy cat bed as kitty will most likely prefer the sofa, it will smell of you and give comfort. Also bear in mind the cattery bill when you go away, most are a reasonable price but you will still need to factor in the cost.
I hope you enjoy your bundle of fun :thumbsup:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Ello all

Blokey and I are thinking about adopting a cat. I live in a flat, but ground floor with front and rear door access.

We've been looking at costs etc. And it seems that there's no reason we couldn't get one. Can anyone advise us? Maybe about costs, both annually and weekly/monthly, any issues, where best to get one, etc etc

Any help would be good. Thanks people!
Just leave a window open and a roast chicken out to cool, then take your pick of the local toms and moggies.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
<< Get your cat from a shelter... ours is second hand but runs well enough.

Shelters make sure they are vaccinated, neutered and microchipped [so collar not necessary] which including a donation to the shelter, so ours cost £90. Cat basket about £35 ...worth it with a top opening lid- you'll find out why later.
Microchip opearated cat flap lets him in or out when he likes. Doesn't chase birds thankfully: can grab a wounded mouse if it crawls past his nose.
£30 or so for annual check-up and booster injection. Annual flea and worm treatment about another £30 or so. Could use PDSA if vets are expensive where you live. Cattery usually about £8 a day including food, unless you have neighbour or friend who will pop in once or twice a day to feed and cuddle.

Milo

Guru
Make sure you let it shoot all over the neighbours vegetable patch. I love picking up faeces of a morning.
I'm not some sort of anti cat crazy before anyone gets the wrong idea. I don't mind them just hate picking up after them after they have crapped all over and around the food i have to eat. Not nice with the little one either.

OP
OP
A

AnnaNanna

Regular
Thanks archie :-) really helpful. Not sure if can get a cat flap though, even though it'll be better! We're going to get one from a shelter. Annoyed that I can't go until the weekend though. Hmpf.

Lullabelle

Banana
<< Get your cat from a shelter... ours is second hand but runs well enough.

Shelters make sure they are vaccinated, neutered and microchipped [so collar not necessary] which including a donation to the shelter, so ours cost £90. Cat basket about £35 ...worth it with a top opening lid- you'll find out why later.
Microchip opearated cat flap lets him in or out when he likes. Doesn't chase birds thankfully: can grab a wounded mouse if it crawls past his nose.
£30 or so for annual check-up and booster injection. Annual flea and worm treatment about another £30 or so. Could use PDSA if vets are expensive where you live. Cattery usually about £8 a day including food, unless you have neighbour or friend who will pop in once or twice a day to feed and cuddle.

My colleague got hers from a shelter, apparently it was checked over and given a clean bill of health. She got it home and after a couple of days she took it to her local vet as it wasn't moving about much, many tests and a good few hundred pounds later it was discovered that the cat had major problems with it's back legs and bowel problems, the shelter staff and vet seemed to miss these. My folks have also had from a shelter and their cat had problems too which staff and vet seemed to miss, shelters are not all good, beware...

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
go for a house cat much easier no worry about has puss been squashed etc etc .

we got ours from local cat protection league and wouldnt swap him for anything

Top Bottom