bats about cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Our (long gone) British Longhair used to come shopping with us in the car. Used to sit on the dash waiting for us to come back out of the shop.
:cry:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
You all have it wrong you don't own the cat the cat owns you. :tongue:

Our cat treats u more like a b&b most of the time.

Yes, I agree. It is a mistake to think that you can go to a Cats Protection League* cattery and choose to adopt a cat! The cat(s) will chose you! Then they train you as their slave.

*Tasha the cat was a resident there, until she chose me as her person. She told me to write this.

Tasha is named after Tasha Yar in Star Trek. I wanted to use a female name from Star Trek.

MarkF

Guru
I've 3 cats, 2 too many.

fudgeb.jpg

Get insurance, Fudge got something trapped in his stomach, to cut away the blockage and re-connect cost me well over £1k, a few months later, the problem returned, because it was an "historical" problem the insures would not pay up and the vets denied it was a problem with their work...............another £1k+ gone. When he got well he decided to "play" with a garden strimmer...........all in, I have over £3k invested in this bleedin moggy, I like it but on relflection I'd have liked to have had one of those hairless Sphinx cats for the money.

Born2die

Yes, I agree. It is a mistake to think that you can go to a Cats Protection League* cattery and choose to adopt a cat! The cat(s) will chose you! Then they train you as their slave.

*Tasha the cat was a resident there, until she chose me as her person. She told me to write this.

Tasha is named after Tasha Yar in Star Trek. I wanted to use a female name from Star Trek.
You could have had 7 of 9 more fitting for cats I feel

(We re the cats you will be assimilated)

Born2die

I've 3 cats, 2 too many.

fudgeb.jpg

Get insurance, Fudge got something trapped in his stomach, to cut away the blockage and re-connect cost me well over £1k, a few months later, the problem returned, because it was an "historical" problem the insures would not pay up and the vets denied it was a problem with their work...............another £1k+ gone. When he got well he decided to "play" with a garden strimmer...........all in, I have over £3k invested in this bleedin moggy, I like it but on relflection I'd have liked to have had one of those hairless Sphinx cats for the money.
Or a nice shiny new toy ours was 6 months old and lost an eye I think he may have had a run in with one of the local chickens

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
We have a house cat, a litter tray is not a problem at all, We have one that is fully enclosed with a cat flap on the front, you don't see nor smell the cat muck and the box itself is discrete, a mat in front of the litter box stops most of the stray litter. We spot clean daily to avoid smells and because the cat howls if it is not clean in the littler box

Yearly costs, not a lot, vaccinations cost about £30 a year, insurance was about £100-150, can not remember, Catsan brand litter about £15 a month, food £40 for a huge sack that lasts ~6 months. Worming tablets don't cost much.

Set up costs are not huge either, it cost about £60 for spaying (one time thing), a scratch post or 2 and a bucketload of toys can be had for <<£100. Litter tray ~£25. Bowl £2-3. Some pet shampoo and grooming kit (brushes/combs/nail clippers) ~£30.

We have probably spent an additional £100 or so on vet treatment when she has a hard to shift respiratory infection.

Getting the cat is one of the best things we have done. They are very little work, relatively cheap (cheaper than keeping animals like guinea pigs etc) and very rewarding, our cat always greets you when you come home, it sleeps with you on a night, sits behind the laptop on your knee when you are on the computer.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
<< Get your cat from a shelter... ours is second hand but runs well enough.

Shelters make sure they are vaccinated, neutered and microchipped [so collar not necessary] which including a donation to the shelter, so ours cost £90. Cat basket about £35 ...worth it with a top opening lid- you'll find out why later.
Microchip opearated cat flap lets him in or out when he likes. Doesn't chase birds thankfully: can grab a wounded mouse if it crawls past his nose.
£30 or so for annual check-up and booster injection. Annual flea and worm treatment about another £30 or so. Could use PDSA if vets are expensive where you live. Cattery usually about £8 a day including food, unless you have neighbour or friend who will pop in once or twice a day to feed and cuddle.
+1 for the rescue cat option.

Top Bottom