Battery lights vs. rechargeable.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
On the issue of brighter lights on unlit roads, are folk afraid of what they can't see?
To an extent.
One of the good things about riding at night is(was) the darkness. But with high power lights becoming commonplace, that enjoyment quickly disappears.
That's never been something I've particularly enjoyed. I ride in the dark because I'm working during daylight hours in the winter. I'll always prefer riding in daylight when I can reasonably do so.

25mph on an unlit road, because your light "allows that speed" is just nuts. You adapt your speed to the conditions, not "improve" your lighting to allow you to travel at speed.

While I certainly do adapt speed to the conditions, I will also do whatever I reasonably can to improve the conditions to the point where little adaption is necessary. And I don't believe that is remotely "nuts", it just isn't what you prefer.

si_c

Guru
That's a dynamo light?

Presumably you buy the dynamo itself separately. And it isn't StVZO.
It is yes, and it's sadly not cheap, but it is totally reliable. I'm running a hub dynamo which is a whole new wheel, but as it's a disc braked wheelset, it's now on it's second commuter bike after the frame on the first died, with no sign of either ever wearing out.

It is an StVZO light as well - it's bigger brother (which I also have), the E3 Pro Triple isn't but does put out quite a bit more light, but it doesn't have the cut off optics in the same way so there is a lot more light spread.

Sounds good, but not sure about a dynamo, though I know modern ones are much better than when I was a kid :smile:, and I really don't want to be forking out over £100, which that seems to be.
I would like to replace it with an StVZO light at some point.
Yeah they're not cheap, but I got mine as at the time I was commuting 30 or more miles a day every day and needing to constantly charge lights was annoying me. For a utility bike like a commuter you genuinely can't do better, although there are a lot cheaper dynamo lights out there that work well too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
25mph on an unlit road, because your light "allows that speed" is just nuts. You adapt your speed to the conditions, not "improve" your lighting to allow you to travel at speed.

If you go downhill, unless you sit on the brakes, you are easily going to exceed 25 mph. If it’s a commute you’ll be familiar with the unlit lane, know if there are any hazards, and are generally able to use the full width subject to any blind bends. I have a 80 lux dynamo light and it is more than good enough for descents around 30 mph in unlit lanes.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As to the cost of dynamos. The Shimano ones can be as low as £50 and another £50 for the headlight. That’s £100 all in. My older dynamo and lights are now 12 years old and no costs since. How many usb lights will still be going in 12 years time? It’s cost me an average of £8 per year in today’s money so far.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Before dynamo I ran a Lupine Passubio halogen mtb light in the lanes on my commute. We are talking 2003 or so. That was rated 300 lumens, and I used it off road as well. I don’t recall not having enough light with that. I think many have just got sucked in by must have max lumens rather than what do they actually need?

I switched to dynamo as got tired of charging twice a week.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you go downhill, unless you sit on the brakes, you are easily going to exceed 25 mph. If it’s a commute you’ll be familiar with the unlit lane, know if there are any hazards, and are generally able to use the full width subject to any blind bends. I have a 80 lux dynamo light and it is more than good enough for descents around 30 mph in unlit lanes.
Agree on it being easy to hit 25mph downhill. But did you have to improve your lighting in order to make it safe for you to do so.
I used to be cycling home, from work, at night any time from nine whilst two.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Agree on it being easy to hit 25mph downhill. But did you have to improve your lighting in order to make it safe for you to do so.
I used to be cycling home, from work, at night any time from nine whilst two.

No you don’t need to improve lighting to do that. It’s been perfectly fine with lighting outputs for at least 2 decades.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think dynamo lights are really worthwhile for commuters who ride in the dark day in and day out, and tourists/long distance riders who may to be camping or otherwise likely to be away from a socket for a while.

But for leisure riding I'm not so sure there's much point.

si_c

Guru
I think dynamo lights are really worthwhile for commuters who ride in the dark day in and day out, and tourists/long distance riders who may to be camping or otherwise likely to be away from a socket for a while.

But for leisure riding I'm not so sure there's much point.
Perhaps, but you have to consider that they just work, all the time, it's nice to have daylight running lights that come on the moment you start riding and never need charging.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Perhaps, but you have to consider that they just work, all the time, it's nice to have daylight running lights that come on the moment you start riding and never need charging.
I fitted the Brompton Dynamo wheel kit to my Brommie, and have since upgraded the lights ( B+M ) IQ Cyo+ to the front and a B+M Topline Brake Plus to the rear. I'm retired so there's no commuting, it's great to have the lights always there as a sort of " Daylight Running Light " equivalent, and it is more than adequate for the unlit section along the Trailway on my trip back from the Pub.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ah. I have a story about that.

I did dabble with one a few years ago. Suffice it to say it didn't work all of the time. I'll spare you the rest of the story. :smile:

Probably bad luck/a faulty unit I think. I did send it back and got a replacement, but by the time it came I'd disentangled all the wires off my frame and I never refitted it. It's still in my garage somewhere I think. I reverted to my trusty Hope Vision 1.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Went out in sun at lunchtime and a bank of fog rolled in. Nice to have dynamo lights come on without needing to think about it, or go bugger haven’t got my lights on bike.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Went out in sun at lunchtime and a bank of fog rolled in. Nice to have dynamo lights come on without needing to think about it, or go bugger haven’t got my lights on bike.
Funny you should say that. I had to look up which model of B+M front light I had and realised that mine also has an " Auto " mode ( though I leave mine on all the time as those extra 3 watts of exertion helps with the diet ) 🤔

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Funny you should say that. I had to look up which model of B+M front light I had and realised that mine also has an " Auto " mode ( though I leave mine on all the time as those extra 3 watts of exertion helps with the diet ) 🤔

You won’t even notice 3 watts in your average speed. You are talking small fractions of a mile per hour. You can get about 7 times as much difference in tyres.

Top Bottom