Battery on Garmin Edge 520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I've had mine for 4 years no real complaints, and this week a 2 hour ride leaves me with 20% battery and a low bat warning inducing fear of a lost ride recording.

Anyine know if the battery can be replaced, and if not am I looking at a full replacement from their latest range?

I have a vivosmart HR watch too so am slightly wedded to Garmin over switching to Wahoo.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
It is possible but it takes a bit of careful work. especially when it comes to getting the screen off. The rest is more a case of clipping and splicing wires together.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
It is possible but it takes a bit of careful work. especially when it comes to getting the screen off. The rest is more a case of clipping and splicing wires together.

Thanks, just gave that a watch. Not convinced about the glue gun but there you go.

Seems like they're based in the US. Any idea of a UK stockist?

Nebulous

Guru
Garmin had some serious problems, including battery life, dodgy software and water ingress. They were pretty much the only game in town though, and we put up with them. Then Wahoo came along and stole Garmin’s lunch.

I understand the new Garmin 530 / 830 are much better though. I have a Garmin 1000, which bugs me. It has been swapped out for a refurbished unit because of water damage. I’m the same as you, I’m fairly attached to Garmin, mainly because of the data of mine it holds. I had thought seriously about going to Wahoo, but now think I might give the 830 a try.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on, your garmin should upload everything.... I've got 2 (3rd is with Santa :laugh:)...it's a device...data on the cloud.

The 705, I replaced the battery myself a couple of years ago given it's age - very old). The old 200 is still good, but isn't used much now. My first 200 wasn't good with battery life and was replaced within 12 months.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Hold on, your garmin should upload everything.... I've got 2 (3rd is with Santa :laugh:)...it's a device...data on the cloud.

The 705, I replaced the battery myself a couple of years ago given it's age - very old). The old 200 is still good, but isn't used much now. My first 200 wasn't good with battery life and was replaced within 12 months.
"Should", but with 90% of the ride done, I didn't want to risk it having not had the battery go on me before (including 2 x 100 mile sportives) so panicked and hit save.

I would prefer to give replacing the battery a go so long as they're reasonable. Jeff Bezos' place seem to stock them buf mkxed reviews in foreign languages so not sure what to expect.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Garmin had some serious problems, including battery life, dodgy software and water ingress. They were pretty much the only game in town though, and we put up with them. Then Wahoo came along and stole Garmin’s lunch.

I understand the new Garmin 530 / 830 are much better though. I have a Garmin 1000, which bugs me. It has been swapped out for a refurbished unit because of water damage. I’m the same as you, I’m fairly attached to Garmin, mainly because of the data of mine it holds. I had thought seriously about going to Wahoo, but now think I might give the 830 a try.
Yeah in fairness, my 'no complaints' isn't quite true, but for what it does I'd rather stick with it as I'm accustomed and frankly the same as a car infotainment system, I prefer actual buttons not touch screens when on the move, given how much faff it is to even try and turn on broadcast mode on my watch.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i use these guys , german but very good i have done a couple of garmins with them and ordered a phone battery that was wrong due to confusion of model and they sent the right one free
https://www.subtel.co.uk/Battery-fo...897.html?listtype=search&searchparam=edge 520

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Thanks, just gave that a watch. Not convinced about the glue gun but there you go.

Seems like they're based in the US. Any idea of a UK stockist?

you can get a battery from ebay for £10. as for the tools needed, apart from a screwdriver and some tape I recommened using a guitar pick to remove the screen then re-seal with bathroom silicone or your choice of automotive gasket maker just to make it some what weather proof again.

si_c

Guru
I'd give replacing the battery a go - worst thing is you'll need to replace it, which if the existing battery is on it's way out you'd need to do anyway.

Edit to add: if you provide the parts then I'm sure a local phone repair place would be happy to do it for a small fee - it's basically what they do all day everyday anyway.

Top Bottom