Batty Laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

I've placed a bucket and some glade at the front door in case anyone invokes the toilet law on me. It's a fair cop; I've marked my territory on other folks' houses often enough.

Pete

Arch said:
I think it's actually more like a student found out he could ask for a pint of ale while sitting an exam, and the porter brought him one, then fined him for taking an exam improperly dressed, because he wasn't wearing his sword...
You may well be right, there, Arch, your version sounds more plausible and I certainly heard this only at about thirteenth-hand (and no, I was not the student referred to)!

There was another similar story pertaining to Oxford, too good not to pass on even if it is an urban myth ... "No sport may be practiced in the High [High Street] except archery" And so on to the student who set up a target in the midst of the traffic, got a bow and arrows and began practicing. Up steps the Proctor and fines him for "not wearing the appropriate attire of an archer". I think there are other odd laws relating to archery, not just Oxford and York (have you bagged your Scotsman yet)?

bonj2

Patrick Stevens said:
In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

I broke this law repeatedly in January.:biggrin: Will I get arrested when I go back in two months time?

what if when he starts, it's before 10pm, but the turn of the hour comes mid-piss?

bonj2

Arch, be careful if you ever go to Florida - 'cos if you leave an elephant (baby or otherwise) tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle. And sex in anything other than the missionary position is illegal.

On the same vein as the 'you must not die in the houses of parliament one', in New york, "the penalty for jumping off a building is death."

more ones on http://www.lawguru.com/weird/index.html

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Arch, be careful if you ever go to Florida - 'cos if you leave an elephant (baby or otherwise) tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle. And sex in anything other than the missionary position is illegal.

Thank you, I'll bear those in mind in the unlikely event that I ever go to Florida...

The sex in the missionary position thing, is that just with the elephant, or generally?

Top Bottom