1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batty Laws

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by meenaghman, 6 Nov 2007.

1. meenaghman

meenaghman Veteran

I hope all the Scots on here know the law..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm

I wish my wife knew the one about the pregnant woman relieving herself when she was stopped by coppers when expecting our first daughter.

2. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

Well now we know why FM spends so much time in Japan..........:biggrin::ohmy:

3. Pete

Pete Guest

I'm sure I'd heard the one about the Scotsman in York, before...:biggrin:

I recollect the tale about the obscure by-law relating to Oxford University - something like "Alle ye scholars of ye Universitye shall be able to claim ye free ale at ye local tavernes". And about the student (in modern times) who put this to the test. He was refused by the barman on the grounds that he couldn't prove he was a scholar as he wasn't wearing his sword...

4. Apparently, taxi drivers (Hackney carriage drivers) are allowed to p*ss on their back wheel furthest from the pavement, provided they are touching the cab with the right hand.

5. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

It is illegal to drink co***e in my castle!

6. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

I broke this law repeatedly in January.:biggrin: Will I get arrested when I go back in two months time?

7. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

Depends on the evidance you left :biggrin:

8. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

"10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%) "

So, watch it!

Actually, I'm noticing men in kilts round here more and more often. But they are never carrying a bow and arrow. Yet...:biggrin:

"In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%) "

I like this one! That should be law everywhere!:biggrin:

9. Cycling Naturalist

Ahem.....if they are very hairy, they're women from Doncaster wearing skirts.

10. Arch

I think it's actually more like a student found out he could ask for a pint of ale while sitting an exam, and the porter brought him one, then fined him for taking an exam improperly dressed, because he wasn't wearing his sword...

11. Probably, knowing the Swiss and their scarily efficient mindset.:biggrin:

12. Cycling Naturalist

A friend of mine in CPS was prosecuting a chap for carrying a Samurai sword in a pub in Telford. He made no mention of the defence being that he was an Oxford scholar. :biggrin:

13. Arch

I never said that the ancient statutes of Oxford allowed him to carry a sword in a pub in Telford...

14. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Most of the laws quoted by the BBC are actually urban myths and not law. Obviously they don't have enough real news to report...

15. Yes, if the BBC want to air this sort of trash instead of real news, they shouldn't expect us to pay for it through our licence fee. Where's SimonCC when we need him?:biggrin: