Batty Laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Well now we know why FM spends so much time in Japan..........:biggrin::ohmy:

Pete

I'm sure I'd heard the one about the Scotsman in York, before...:biggrin:

I recollect the tale about the obscure by-law relating to Oxford University - something like "Alle ye scholars of ye Universitye shall be able to claim ye free ale at ye local tavernes". And about the student (in modern times) who put this to the test. He was refused by the barman on the grounds that he couldn't prove he was a scholar as he wasn't wearing his sword...

In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

I broke this law repeatedly in January.:biggrin: Will I get arrested when I go back in two months time?

Patrick Stevens said:
In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

I broke this law repeatedly in January.:biggrin: Will I get arrested when I go back in two months time?

Depends on the evidance you left :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
"10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%) "

So, watch it!

Actually, I'm noticing men in kilts round here more and more often. But they are never carrying a bow and arrow. Yet...:biggrin:

"In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%) "

I like this one! That should be law everywhere!:biggrin:

Arch said:
Actually, I'm noticing men in kilts round here more and more often. )

Ahem.....if they are very hairy, they're women from Doncaster wearing skirts.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
I'm sure I'd heard the one about the Scotsman in York, before...:biggrin:

I recollect the tale about the obscure by-law relating to Oxford University - something like "Alle ye scholars of ye Universitye shall be able to claim ye free ale at ye local tavernes". And about the student (in modern times) who put this to the test. He was refused by the barman on the grounds that he couldn't prove he was a scholar as he wasn't wearing his sword...

I think it's actually more like a student found out he could ask for a pint of ale while sitting an exam, and the porter brought him one, then fined him for taking an exam improperly dressed, because he wasn't wearing his sword...

Arch said:
I think it's actually more like a student found out he could ask for a pint of ale while sitting an exam, and the porter brought him one, then fined him for taking an exam improperly dressed, because he wasn't wearing his sword...

A friend of mine in CPS was prosecuting a chap for carrying a Samurai sword in a pub in Telford. He made no mention of the defence being that he was an Oxford scholar. :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
A friend of mine in CPS was prosecuting a chap for carrying a Samurai sword in a pub in Telford. He made no mention of the defence being that he was an Oxford scholar. :biggrin:

I never said that the ancient statutes of Oxford allowed him to carry a sword in a pub in Telford...

User said:
Most of the laws quoted by the BBC are actually urban myths and not law. Obviously they don't have enough real news to report...

Too late - I've just executed three Welshmen in Chester for failing to bow to a man carrying a longbow.

Top Bottom