BB Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spoons47

Spoons47

I think the fact that I said it’s in good condition and the F95 hasn’t been produced for a few years actually gives it away. Thanks for all the helpful posts. I have also received nice friendly advice on other threads. But unfortunately this forum, the members are too quick to judge I’m off to find a forum that likes to help someone who wants to spend less that £20 on an important part of the bike that can only prolong its life and smooth running.
Cheers All.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think my BB is quite noisy and was wondering about cleaning and greasing or would just buy a new one if that is better. Its a felt F95 . . . and is in very good condition.
I think that the chances of the BB needing replacement given the bike's condition (looks clean and in good nick) and age is very low. Square taper BBs (and it will be a reasonable one on a Felt F95) are robust and last a long time/mileage.
Thanks for all the quick replies. Amazon have the un55 under £12 that I can get delivered tomorrow, so no brained really. these are the sizes they have. [highlights 70mm/110mm]
I’m off to find a forum that likes to help someone who wants to spend less that £20 on an important part of the bike that can only prolong its life and smooth running.
"a forum that likes to help someone who wants to spend" :wacko:
This is a previous Felt F95 BB thread. I note that a 68mm/110mm length is required so I do hope the OP did check carefully and has not bought a 70mm one. That would be a 'no brainer'.
I’m going to need to phone my son to measure it as I’m on my way to work. Can I have some instructions for measuring and I can text them to him.
The 68mm measurement is from one side of the frame's bottom bracket shell to the other. The axle length (110mm) is just that. I suspect the OP's son will not increase his love for his father if asked to take those two measurements - they're a pain to get right without removing the crankset and even then calipers are needed for accuracy. Just get a 68mm/110mm UN55.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have had a couple of sealed unit BBs go bad (squeak/seize) within the first 100 miles. Bad ones sometimes slip through quality control.

Globalti

Legendary Member
To the OP, judging from the condition of the chain and big chainring your bike has done very few miles indeed so you can understand why members of this forum are keen to prevent you from wasting your money. Years of riding motorbikes and bicycles have taught me that we often imagine the worst and panic then discover there was nothing wrong in the first place; it's just that as we get used to the machine we notice noises and vibrations we hadn't noticed before. I was forever stripping motorbike engines thinking they had knackered big ends or main bearings and finding nothing wrong at all.

Why don't you just conduct the test YS has suggested? Use a long screwdriver pressed into your ear and pressed against the frame as a stethoscope and spin the cranks freely without the chain. If there's a problem you will feel and hear the bearings rumbling. Some cheap BBs even sound a little rough from new; what matters is that there's no loosesness or play in the cranks or BB cups, which will quickly do expensive damage.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Did you get the bike "serviced" a month from new, i.e. did the shop mechanic go round it checking for loose nuts and bolts? One of the worst problems with square taper BBs was the way in which the cranks could sometimes work loose on the axle. Have you checked and tightened those big bolts in the axle ends?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Is that your way of saying “sorry I should have read the post properly?”

If that is aimed at me - then absolutely no apology at all. Your post was not clear at all as to the age of the bike, as was shown by multiple people questioning the age.

Good luck in curing your issue and good luck with your new forum.

Yeah - like who puts a blackberry on bikes these days ? - google pixel is where its at ?

Top Bottom