BB30 Bearings/Lifespan? Not Good IME!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Visible marks would be normal where a bearing has run on a surface. But, and this is personal opinion only - and bear in mind I've no BB30 experience whatsoever, I'd say any visible uneven-ness or anything you can feel with a fingertip (however slight) is not acceptable in a warranty claim. The difference between DS and NDS is rather telling in your photo.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I've just ordered a replacement set of FSA bearings / installation tool and removal tool as mine only have about 140 miles on them from new. I really should have replaced them when I stripped it down to grease the other week, I had a feeling the two bearings fitted might be faulty.

I was preparing the bike this morning for a ride out and noticed the crank was rather stiff, I've stripped it down and one bearing is notchy when turned and the other is just stuck solid :cursing: ... I'm starting to lose heart in the BB30 system altogether.

IMHO if Boardman was aware of the problems with the BB30 in his branded bikes, he should have made a re-call notice and had them replaced (before or after being sold) that's £40 I've had to pay out, when I shouldn't need too, on a new bike :headshake:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have it in writing that Boardman were aware, and that they gave a direct instruction to all Boardman Halfords stores to check and grease the BB30 equipped bikes at PDI and to carry the spare in stock.

They never did check my one despite me insisting I would only purchase if they guaranteed doing it at the PDI. It sounded like metalic popcorn after 500 odd miles.

The store tried to blame my lack of cleaning and that the problem was due to ingress of debris, and that I should wash the bike down after every ride.

Since they have had it back I have done another 1k and it seems ok. I will probably will not use it much Spring\Summer so will have to see how it holds up next winter.

This site is quite helpful

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bb30-bearing-system-installation-and-removal

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I know LOCO that's why I bought my Boardman, on the mechanics word that the BB30 had been stripped and greased, seems both bearing are faulty in my bike.

I phoned halfords this morning about replacing the bearing under warranty and was told "bring your bike in and we'll check and grease the bearings for you" ... of course my answer was "Not a chance" I'd rather you send me the bearings and I'll replace them myself. I was then told, I'd validate my warranty with them if I do the work myself(like I care about halfords mechanics)

After about 5 minutes on hold (he went to check something) I was told, that the shop had difficulty obtaining not only the bearings, but also the tools to do the work, talk about trying to fobb someone off.

I'll replace the bearings myself, so I know the work is done properly and believe me I'll be bombarding Halfords management with emails about poor after sales service and staff.

waggoner

It would seem that the problem lies with the bearings not being fitted correctly/greased when the bikes are assembled?? As i said mine started clicking on the first day,,when i took it apart one bearing came out on the crank!! so obviously that was not pressed in correctly.
My bike came mail order,,and judging by the looks,,the bike shop just took it out the box to make sure it was not damaged then put it straight back in without PDI'ing it, then posted it.
As loco said,,if its a know problem,,it does not take much for a bike shop to pop the crank out, check the bearings and grease them at the PDI. This might save a lot of problems later on!!!

One other thought...when i was in to motorbikes,,if i had any bearings that needed replacing rather than go to the bike shop and pay over the odds for branded ones , there was a place here in bristol (gone now) that only sold bearings. Bearings being universal,,just took the serial number off them and took that to the shop.
Ended up paying a lot less for better bearings. Wondering if the bb30 bearings have a serial number on them??

NormanD..."I'll replace the bearings myself, so I know the work is done properly"...Thats my way of thinking now when it comes to putting things right, giving up trusting people to do a job correctly.

Good luck guys.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
NormanD..."I'll replace the bearings myself, so I know the work is done properly"...Thats my way of thinking now when it comes to putting things right, giving up trusting people to do a job correctly.

Yep, that's what I did and they've been fine. I know I'll take a lot more care making sure they're installed properly than anyone else will.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
OK, so today I got a phone call from a guy who works for a company that deal with Cannondale, (no names to protect the innocent). He's assured me that the 'scoring' on the crank axle is perfectly normal and will not cause premature future wear.

He's recommended I accept the LBS's offer to replace the bearings, but as this will involve a 140 mile round trip I'm going to request they just send me the bearings and I'll either fit them myself or take my mate up on his crank swop offer then fit one of these; http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...ad-Sram-Red-Black-10-Spd-Chainset/SRAMCHAR215 :thumbsup:

This guy works for the technical department of the company and claims to actually race his BB30 bike, but he admitted he's suffered premature bearing wear also, (well he would if it's BB30:whistle:). He also said that FSA recommend using Loctite 641 during installation to take up any tolerances between the bearing and BB shell, but I wouldn't fancy doing that on a CF frame TBH, (thinking about removal here), still, he claims to have greatly improved the bearing life on his bike by doing this.

So I'm going to email the LBS and ask them to send me the bearings, then depending what my mate decides, (and how quickly he decides it) will determine which way I choose to remedy my own situation.

FYI NormanD, I got these last week from CRC; http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36371 & http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36370
Together they cost me £11.98. I also ordered this from Petra Cycles; http://www.petracycles.co.uk/produc...rrency=GBP&products_id=56118&source=googlepbs but then they emailed me to say it was out of stock, so I've cancelled that order for now. Working in the motor trade means if I do need a bearing press I will be able to get my hands on one :thumbsup:

If anyone needs the bearing code for BB30 bearings it's 6806-2RS. There's a local bearing place to me who quoted me £10 each for standard ones, or £20-£22 each for SKF bearings. If anyone wants his details just let me know.

Incidentally, my riding buddy did the Cheshire Cat the other weekend, and he got talking to a guy about BB30. He said the only way to eliminate problems is to spend mega ££'s on a 'proper' kit, presumably somehting like this? http://www.parker-international.co....ogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid14400

If there's any truth in that I'm definitely converting mine to HTII or SRAM GXP :crazy:

waggoner

Just found this... http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12814323&p=17321468

Taking to my dad about bearings,,he told me roughtly the same thing. In that when he used to fit new bearings to printing machines he would always pop the dust covers off because there was very little grease inside of them, he would then pack them with grease refit the cover then fit the bearings.
Might be worth looking at,,,no point fitting a new bearing if there is hardly any grease in it!!

Glad you got something sorted out smokeysmoo,,,those ceramic bearings,,wow!!!

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Just found this... http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12814323&p=17321468

Taking to my dad about bearings,,he told me roughtly the same thing. In that when he used to fit new bearings to printing machines he would always pop the dust covers off because there was very little grease inside of them, he would then pack them with grease refit the cover then fit the bearings.
Might be worth looking at,,,no point fitting a new bearing if there is hardly any grease in it!!

Glad you got something sorted out smokeysmoo,,,those ceramic bearings,,wow!!!

Cheers Bud :thumbsup: I saw that BR thread actually. There does seem to be a lot of people adding grease, but then again I was talking to a guy I know who runs a bearing company, not specifically for bikes but a lot of bike stuff is industry standard anyway, but when I raised this subject with him he poo pooed the idea. He didn't say you couldn't, but he was quite definite that you shouldn't need to. As he pointed out they are supposedly sealed for life bearings, so by opening them up you could be setting yourself up for other problems. He also said you can put too much grease in as well.

All that said I think if I end up sticking with BB30, (which looks increasingly unlikely), when I take the old bearings out I'll have a play with popping the covers off, even if only to see how easy/hard it is to re-seat them again afterwards.

Yeah, those ceramic buggers eh! Apparently they aren't has robust as stainless ones either. So knowing my luck I'd shoot £100+ on a set and just manage my 3 mile commute before they were done for :wacko:

Thanks again for your messages Pal. The guy you put me onto is on holiday, but his colleague rang me this morning and was very helpful.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Here's what I'm going to do with the new bearing when they arrive (fingers crossed today) ... I'm going to remove both seals (they just pop off) and give them a nice bath in degreaser to remove the grease they come supplied with. I'll give them a good rinsing out with water and then dry them off with a combination of a few sheets of kitchen towel and a hairdryer.

I'm then going to re-grease them with Finish Line Ceramic Grease and add the seals (they just pop into place) before I install them into the bike, lets see if they last more than a hundred and odd miles this time. I've a funny feeling the grease they come supplied with may not be up to the job. Either way I've nothing to lose.

Top Bottom