BB30 Bearings/Lifespan? Not Good IME!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
A monkey can install an external BB properly as long as the outer faces of the BB shell are parallel & aligned. Often this escapes workshop monkeys & old school wrenches, for very different reasons, when the outer faces aren't & so you get people eating external BBs every few 100 miles. The difference is BB30 cups requires a modicum of skill & attention every install, I've found only workshop monkeys have problems with these, a decent wrench, old school or new generation, don't seem to have any issues getting them to sit properly. I've been running BB30 & haven't had any problems but then again I do build my bikes from components rather than pre-built.

potsy

Rambler
Here's what I'm going to do with the new bearing when they arrive (fingers crossed today) ... I'm going to remove both seals (they just pop off) and give them a nice bath in degreaser to remove the grease they come supplied with. I'll give them a good rinsing out with water and then dry them off with a combination of a few sheets of kitchen towel and a hairdryer.
*waits for how to use a hairdryer post in the near future* :girl:

billy1561

BB wrecker
I was offered ceramic bearings from LBS as replacements for my failed bb30 at cost (£30) but held out for them to do the work and they put sram in and it's been superb ever since.

Bigbud

Was looking at a cannondale carbon bike and the problems with bb30 really has put me off :sad: is it just cannondale that has these problems ? Looking at focus as well.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Was looking at a cannondale carbon bike and the problems with bb30 really has put me off :sad: is it just cannondale that has these problems ? Looking at focus as well.
Cannondale designed the BB30 set up, but more and more manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon, (sadly:sad:).

FWIW I had a Focus Cayo Pro frame replaced under warranty and they sent me a Focus Izalco which was BB30, but they'd already sleeved it and re-fitted my DA chainset anyway so it wasn't an issue, plus the fact I sold the bike on straight away anyhow.

As I have never, nor will I ever race, any supposed benefits of BB30 are completely and utterly lost on me, (and were never a factor when I bought the bike). In fact I even discussed swapping out the oe chainset for DA at the point of sale, but I decided to leave it and give it a go, I now know I should have followed my instinct!

As a result I've now decided to swap my CAAD over to either Hollowtech II or SRAM GXP. I'm sure it would be fine once the BB30 bearings are replaced, but it'll always be in the back of mind and will niggle me forever more.

So for me it's an easy decision, (all be it a potentially expensive one!), to revert back to what I know, and more importantly what I've never had an issue with, ie: outboard bearings a la HTII or GXP :thumbsup:

It's important to remember as well that 1000's upon 1000's of people are probably using BB30 without any issues, so please don't rule it out because there are known problems, I'm sure people have had premature bearing failure on other set up's too, but I do consider BB30 to be the answer to a problem that simply never existed :wacko:

It's fine for racers who strip their bikes after after race/meet, and it's probably better suited to warmer climates as it does seem to be hindered by the British weather due to the bearings not being as well sealed off from the elements as they are in other systems.

Just make sure you're happy with it if the bike you want it has it :thumbsup:

JKAY

Have to replace the BB30 bearings on my Cannondales every 1500 to 2000 miles which is roughly every 3 months. It is a bit of bind but I love the bikes and don't want to change the cranks either. I am 85kg so put quite a large load of the cranks,especially on hills. I am also pushing much harder with the right leg than the other so uneven wear results. This replacement is necessary even though I rarely ride in wet weather. I think that the BB30 design is fundamentally flawed for regular riders who are 15 to 20 kg heavier than the pro's; and who do not strip down their bikes after every ride. I use all the proper tools to remove and fit the bearings. I bought these because I figured out that this was going to be a regular job. Bearings only cost £11 so no big deal once you have the tools. This is a 15 to 20 minute job. I do use the recommended Loctite and thorough clean all before the refit.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
It keeps crossing my mind to maybe go a bit more modern BB wise when my square taper needs replacing. Funnily enough I changed my chain last night as it was getting close to the second wear indicator and when I spun the cranks chainless it is a smooth as when brand new. Ok I have only done 2500 done since then but have never done any maintenance (not sure I should or not). I only have the one bike and thus it gets ridden through the seasons and whatever the weather. Reading threads like this makes me think I will stick with square taper. Only thing I ever need to do is nip the crank bolts up every month or so.

02GF74

Über Member
It turns out Cannondale could not replace the bearings due to them receiving a faulty batch.

bearings are ade from a small number of parts, inner + outerrace, ball bearing, a cage and two seal - he machinery that makes them out by the million - how can abatch go wrong? More likely Cannondale bought some cheap chinese - ande it is usually chinese stuff - and not pass on th savings to the customer.

.... and to answer the OP, BB30 tend not to last long.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
This I think is an interesting article on the subject, and those guys should know. I particularly like the comparison with headset bearings, and most of us still remember the need to face bb shells for outboard (i.e. separate drive and non-drive side) threaded bb's for longevity - how can we possibly rely on plastic sleeves to deliver good bearing alignment?

Different user experiences obviously muddy the water, not just these press fit bb's in standard form, but also regarding the use of adapters, since these press fit and indeed outboard bb's rely heavily on the frame's bb shell alignment. Nevertheless it seems to make sense that a reliable cure would involve either removing or making the plastic sleeves used in PF30, BB86, BB92, BB79, and BB386EVO irrelevant, which meant either a stiff adapter or bb's such as these, or better still use a cartridge bb/chainset with any adapter.

Or just get a frame with threaded bb shell, even Wiggo did. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crazy. Both shimano and Campag mainly sell the ultra torque and hollowtech outboard bearings which are cheap and quick to replace. BB30 and its cousins sound like a right pain. Still on square taper here. You can't get much better than Ultegra and Dura Ace square taper cartridge units. Only been fitted 18 plus years.

U

User6179

BB30 was the reason I converted my Cannondale to Hollowtech II, and wadda ya know, it's been 100% perfect ever since.

For any disgruntled BB86 owners, a quick Google for throws up THIS adapter, so you can convert BB86 to HTII as well for 100% trouble free riding :thumbsup:

Its not the BB that failed you smokey but the frame which was not correct , BB30 IN THEORY works fine but if the frames BB shell is not within certain tolerances like yours then click click click .

Top Bottom