BB86 BB

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by roger44, 7 Mar 2018.

1. roger44

roger44 Regular

I have acquired a BMC Teammachine SLR01 frameset, it needs a bottom bracket.
    According to BMC spec its a BB86.
    I fitting Ultegra groupset.

my question is, the frame measures 74mm across width,
    so is it really a BB86 I need?, or is that for a framewidth of 86mm which it what the BB86 BB states.

confused, any help gratefully recvd

2. adscrim

adscrim Veteran

I've got a slr01 from 2012 and it's got a dura ace BB92-41 bottom bracket in it - ie shimano BB86.

3. OP
    OP
    roger44

roger44 Regular

yes the Shimano product spec for BB86 shows the 92 as compatible, its the numbers that are confusing, when they talk about shell width of 86mm, do they mean shell width of the BB or of the frame?

4. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Shell width of the frame I think, the bb comes with 2mm lip on each side, so an 86mm frame will end up 90mm.

5. iluvmybike

iluvmybike Well-Known Member

I seem to remember mine also had a little spacer for drive side sop everything ends up right

6. OP
    OP
    roger44

roger44 Regular

but my frame width is around 74mm?????

7. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

This is a press fit BB? You'll need a few special tools to remove and install the new one.

8. Eddy

Eddy Guru

This is a BB86, does it look like yours? Are you including the bit that sticks out in the measurement?

07-bottombracket.jpg

9. OP
    OP
    roger44

roger44 Regular

thats my problem the frame came empty, and I dont have a clue about the different types of bb designations. it would make sense that the cups will stick out, but I also dont have the outer covers either, so will have to look those up as well

10. Eddy

Eddy Guru

How old is the frame?

11. OP
    OP
    roger44

roger44 Regular

12. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

What year is it? This is a 2014 model and it's flush. BMC Team Machine SLR01 - bottom vracket 2.jpg

Eddy likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    roger44

roger44 Regular

YES THA
    Yes that looks like what I will have,

14. boydj

boydj Veteran

Google bottom bracket standards and you'll find lots of info on what's required in terms of bottom bracket, convertors and matching up with your chainset. Most have options for pairing up with standard Shimano 24mm axle chainsets, and other chainset standards.

15. Eddy

Eddy Guru

There looks like a bit protruding on the drive side, don't you have that on yours?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice